By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History by Roger Allen
How the Mizells came to Bulloch
Placeholder Image
    In 1865, King Louis the 14th was very busy persecuting the group of French Protestants known as the Huguenots. On August 8th of that year, he revoked the “Edict of Nantes”, in which the religious freedoms of non-Catholic Frenchmen had been guaranteed. Along the Moselle River, in the Alsace-Lorraine region, the Mazels were suspected by authorities to be some of the most militant Huguenots.
As such, the families, known variously as Mazel, Mezelle, Meazel, Moselle, and Mozelle, were subjected to serious prosecution The tribe leader of the Mazels in the Cevennes, Abraham, was a Huguenot preacher and wool-carder.
    They fled across Europe, to Holland, Prussia, and England, and those families that could afford it then crossed the Atlantic to the Americas. The first generation of Mezell (sometimes pronounced like “measle”) found in colonial records is apparently Joshua Meazle, who crossed the Atlantic in 1615.
    Another family member Luke Meazle (1614-1673) arrived in this country as a cooper in the service of Sir Thomas Gray. He married Deborah Lawrence in 1635, They settled in the James City, Virginia area (now known as Jamestown) and then moved across the James river to Surrey County, Virginia in 1764.
    Luke the Second (1645-1694) was given 150 acres for bringing three more settlers over from France. Luke the First died in 1673, leaving his son Luke the Second and his widow in possession of this land. Deborah soon married John Smith. Luke the Second married Elizabeth Marriott, and began spelling his name Mizell.
    His son, Luke the Third (1680-1748), moved to Gates County in Virginia, near the state line, in 1730. Luke the Third married Sarah Griffin, and quickly established eight plantations and farms in Bertie, Martain, and Turrell Counties, which had many slaves.
    He became the Interpreter, then the Surveyor, and finally the Commissioner of this region at the behest of the Virginia Assembly. Luke the Third then donated 50 acres of land to build the new “James Ville”. He and his partner William McKey intended for this city to become the center of all commerce on Roanoke River.
    Each man kept three of the best lots for themselves when the town was built. Luke the Third had a number of children, which vary depending upon which records you examine: They are thought to be Luke the Fourth, Charlton, John, William, and James Edward. He also had a daughter named Mary.
    Luke the Fourth (born in 1720), had the following children: William (born about 1740), Charlton (born 1745), Sarah (born 1747), David (born 1750), Hannah (born 1755), and James (born 1760).
    Brother Charlton (born in 1727) had the following children, all of whom were born in Effingham County, Georgia: Children: David (born 1770), Joshua (born 1771), Sarah (born 1772), Charlton (born 1771), and John (born about 1775).
    Brother John (born in 1732) had three wives, who bore him a number of children. First wife Sarah Hughes had Bathsheba, Lawrence, Leah, Amilisent, Cader. Second wife Hannah Ward bore him Hannah, Joshua, and Henry, while his third wife bore him no children.
    Brother James Edwards (born in 1730) had one son Jesse, born in 1765. According to some records, Luke the Third had two sons named William, as their birth dates are dissimilar.
    William the First (born 1725) had the following children: Nancy, Sarah, Susannah, Aaron (born 1752), Clary, Jeremiah, Mary, and William (born 1757). William the second (born in 1730) had the following children: Luke, Sarah, Susannah, Griffin, Winnie, and Reverend William (born on February 4, 1781 in Bulloch County, Georgia)
According to genealogical records, the Southeast Georgia Mizells are descended from either Charlton’s son David, James Edward’s son Jesse, or William’s son William.
    Jesse fought under both General Francis Marion in South Carolina and under General Jasper in Savannah during the Revolutionary War. He married Mary “Polly” Starlings in North Carolina, and settled in Bulloch County for a while until he was drawn to Montgomery County by the promise of much free land.
    Reverend William adopted the Episcopalian faith, married his wife Mary, a Baptist, and then both converted to Methodism. The Mizell’s family Episcopal Church in Saint Georges Parish near Waynesborough became his Methodist Church. He preached to those along the Ogeechee River for over a decade, but then moved eventually to Florida.
Charlton’s son David was born in Old St. Mathews Parrish, Georgia. He served in the militia in Bulloch County (1807-9), where he was Captain of the 49th District. He then moved to Camden County where he was Justice of the Peace, and finally settled in Florida.
    You can E-mail comments to Roger at roger
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter