Note: The following is the continuation of a series of columns looking at the importance of railroads in and around Bulloch County.
Bruton and Pineora Railroad
The Bruton & Pineora Railroad was incorporated on June 27, 1897. What began as the Macon and Atlantic Railroad, and then the short-lived Atlantic Short Line Railway, the B&P line started at Bruton (the spelling was later changed to Brewton).
Here, it connected with the Wrightsville and Tennille Railroad, and ended in Stillmore in Emanuel County, where it connected with both the Stillmore Air Line Railway and the Millen and Southern Railway.
Before completing the last 10 miles between Statesboro and Register, however, they had to go to court. Fred T. Lockhart, who had purchased the Dover and Statesboro Railroad (for a group of investors), claimed that his yet-to-be-built Statesboro and Register Railroad had the sole right to operate the two towns.
Lockhart asked Judge Evans in Wrightsville for an injunction to stop the B&P from building their line. After deliberation, Judge Evans ruled that since no work had been undertaken by Lockhart on his railroad he was due no protection from the building of a competing line.
In no time, the Bruton and Pineora Railroad stopped at Statesboro, Jimps, Register, Parish, Canoe Station, Metter, Stillmore, Youman, Adrian and Brewton.
The 67 miles of the B&P line was eventually purchased outright by the Central of Georgia for $372,000 in 1901.
Register and Glennville Railroad
In 1902, the Perkins family rechartered their lumber railroad so as to start an actual passenger railroad as well as their freight business, which they then christened the Register and Glennville Railroad.
By 1905 the R&G passenger trains were making stops at Register, Dink, New Hayes, Adabelle, Undine Station, Brookland, Hagan, Winburn, Dean, Jennie, Moody, Coe and Glennville. Due to legal and financial troubles, the Register and Glennville Railroad was sold for $225,000 in 1915.
The new owners rechartered the line as the East Georgia Railway. There were discussions to extend the railroad all the way to the Georgia coastline where it would have intersected with the Darien Short Line Railroad, but nothing was ever begun. The line was abandoned in 1919.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at email@example.com.