By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Forest Heights club founded by 100 charter members
Bulloch History
roger allen
Roger Allen

Note: The following is one of a series of articles looking at events in the formation of Bulloch County.


Part I

On April 25, 1946, the Bulloch Herald revealed that "Forest Heights Country Club's Board of Governors (elected) Bill Bowen (President), Paul Franklin Jr., (VP), and Sidney Dodd, (Sec/Treasurer)."

And, "the site for the Forest Heights Country Club has been purchased, and includes over 600 acres of land about 2.6 miles West and South of Statesboro. It was the property formerly owned by Leon McElveen."

The club had 100 charter members, who put up the first $15,000, (and) agreed to first build a club house. Therefore, a building committee was going to be named and plans drawn up.

They also decided later to build "a golf course, tennis courts, and clearing and building up of a pond already on the property, outdoor ovens, and all the recreational facilities ordinarily a part of a country club."

In addition, membership applications would be considered from men and women, after the club's constitution and bylaws were adopted and membership initiation fees and dues were agreed upon.

On Aug. 1, 1946, the Bulloch Herald stated "Mr. Ike Minkovitz, (Chmn.) of the golf course committee, states that a golf course architect from Augusta (will) lay out the course."

Furthermore, "a golf course professional will be engaged to supervise he actual construction of the course, and will later become the golf teacher and greens keeper for the country club."

However, "the plans for a nine-hole course calls for grass greens, (but) the layout designed by the golf architect will include 18 holes, the second nine to be added at a later date. A 6-inch deep well will be drilled."

In addition, plans drawn by Walter Aldred of Statesboro for the clubhouse will include "a spacious ballroom, wide porches, and plenty of locker and shower room space."

Next, the Bulloch Herald issue for Aug. 8, 1946 revealed "aerial photographs of the area owned by the Forest Heights Country Clubs were sent this week to Mr. C.A. Mays, of Augusta," the golf course architect.

Then, the Bulloch Herald for Aug. 15, 1946 disclosed that the site for the country club was "on the crest of a high knoll near the entrance of the 600-acre tract of land purchased by the club."

Also, it stated, "the building will contain a main lounge 30 feet by 50 feet, opening onto a plaza 12 feet by 50 feet and a terrace. A grill, 16 feet by 16 feet is connected to the kitchen, (which will be) 2 feet by 22 feet."

"Other rooms include a reception room, 12 feet by 12 feet; cloak room, 8 feet by 10 feet; (and the) ladies' lockers, 13 feet by 14 feet. The men's lockers will be located in the basement."

Then, the Bulloch Herald issue of Dec. 19, 1946 reported the new “Forest Heights Country Club Golf Course to Soon be Ready for Play, (and) the greens are completed, and the grass is planted."

It quoted H.L. "Red" Roberts, the Forest Heights Country Club's new golf professional, who stated "members of the club may begin playing golf on the nearly completed golf course soon after the middle of January."

"The fairways are all completed and in two or three weeks will be smooth and hard, (and) then it will be just a matter of time before the greens and fairways will be hard enough to play on."

The newspaper revealed "Red" worked as a caddy before he started golfing, actually following tournaments on the winter golfing circuit, working with a number of well-known golfers.

Red was the runner-up in the 1936 Savannah Municipal Golf Tournament, and worked at the Savannah Golf Course for a good number of years. Red, his wife, and their two children live in Statesboro.


Roger Allen is a local lover of history who provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail him at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter