Part two: The electric contractor hired to erect the new Excelsior Electric Membership Cooperative's rudimentary power grid in 1939, Julian Tillman, sent out a crew of six linemen and four helpers to get started. Tillman’s crew ran the first 32 miles of wire in five days. The first regions to get these new power lines were to be the communities of Adabelle and Register. According to the March 16, 1939 edition of the Bulloch Herald, Tillman's men had now erected 248 miles of line approved for the first phase of the project. With this success, it was decided to add another 187 miles of additional power lines in Bulloch, Candler and Evans counties.