By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Ask Dr. Gott 2/23
Switch medications to ease allergies
Placeholder Image
    DEAR DR. GOTT: I have been told that I am allergic to blood pressure pills. From the beginning, I was advised to take an allergy pill with the medication. It makes my lips swell, and it causes me to have blisters in, and a burning sensation around, my mouth. I am desperate to get some kind of solution to my problem.
    DEAR READER: There are many types of blood-pressure medications. I doubt you are allergic to them all. You need to be switched to a medication to which you are not allergic.
    I am appalled that your primary-care physician did not immediately stop the medication and switch you to something else. Simply taking an allergy pill with the blood pressure pill is not enough, as you well know, since you continue to have reactions.
    You should stop taking the medication and insist on trying something different. Your physician has many choices and will almost surely find an appropriate substitute for you. You may prefer to switch physicians or ask for a referral to an allergist, who can determine which medications you are allergic to. Perhaps a visit to a cardiologist is also in order since blood-pressure abnormalities may be secondary to heart problems.
    To give you related information, I am sending you copies of my Health Reports "Hypertension" and "Allergies." Other readers who would like copy should send a self-addressed, stamped No. 10 envelope and $2 for each report to Newsletter, PO Box 167, Wickliffe, OH 44092. Be sure mention the title(s).

    DEAR DR. GOTT: I frequently use a rubber enema bag to flush out my colon. It works, but it is getting more difficult to get rid of my feces. Is there any danger in doing this? Are there other ways to do this?
    DEAR READER: Colonic irrigation is unnecessary and should be avoided.
    If you have chronic constipation, you should be examined by your primary-care physician or a gastroenterologist. He or she can examine you to ensure there is no physical cause, such as blockage or polyps. You should then be checked for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which can manifest itself as chronic diarrhea or constipation or a combination of both. Depending on the cause, you can then discuss treatment options, such as bulking up with fiber, the use of stool softeners or medication.
    You should stop using the enema bag. It is most likely worsening the situation and can lead to nutritional deficiency if used frequently.
    To give you related information, I am sending you copies of my Health Reports "Constipation and Diarrhea" and "Irritable Bowel Syndrome."
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter