By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Ask Dr. Gott 12/01
Prostate surgery leaves man having to urinate too often
Placeholder Image
    DEAR DR. GOTT: My husband is 84 years old. In 2003, he had a prostate operation. Since then, he has urinated every two or three hours, day and night.
    Several weeks ago, he began having trouble controlling his urine. He says as soon as he gets the urge to go, the flow begins. He has also always had a burning sensation.
    He is on no medication of any kind. In fact, aspirin and tranquilizers act in reverse on him. Is there anything we can do to alleviate this situation?
    DEAR READER: I am not a urologist, so I'm not up to date on new medications for the urinary tract. However, I can say this: Urinary urgency and frequency can be treated with a variety of drugs, such as Avodart and Flomax.
    Your husband should make an appointment with his urologist.
    To give you related information, I am sending you copies of my Health Reports "Bladder and Urinary Tract Infections" and "The Prostate Gland." Other readers who would like a copy should send a long, self-addressed, stamped envelope and $2 to Newsletter, PO Box 167, Wickliffe, OH 44092. Be sure to mention the title.

    DEAR DR. GOTT: I am soon to be 56 years old. In September 2001, I noticed blood on my (bladder) pad. I have pain on the right side (front, back and side). I have been to two urologists. One thought he saw kidney stones, so I had two surgeries (lithotripsy and laser). Neither changed anything. I was still in pain and still had the blood. I then saw the second urologist. He said I didn't have stones, but one of the veins on my kidney was calcified. According to him, it was not a cause for the pain and blood. I have seen six doctors since, and they have all (basically) said, "It hasn't killed you yet, just ignore it." The pain is intense. Sometimes the blood is black, other times it is red.
    I know you get thousands of letters, but if you have any ideas or could help, I would really appreciate it.
    I know the pain and blood are symptoms of something.
    DEAR READER: Recurring urinary bleeding should not be ignored. You are to be congratulated for your aggressiveness.
    I don't know what testing your doctors ordered, but you certainly need a cystoscopy, during which a urologist uses a fiber-optic tube to examine the lining of your bladder, looking for a growth or polyp.
    You also need a urine culture and sensitivity to check for a chronic urinary-tract infection. Perhaps now is the time to find a third urologist who can look at the situation from a new perspective. It would be helpful to have copies of all your previous testing and notes from the other physicians for the new doctor to review during your visit. It should give him or her some insight into what is really going on.
    Finally, you need to have a gynecologist follow-up. Uterine bleeding may be mistaken for blood in the urine.
    Your concerns are valid. Keep me posted.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter