Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at the founding and general history of southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.
All that is known about the village of Swamp is that according to the book “The Post Offices of Georgia” written by Small, the postmaster was Adam J. Iler.
The town of Tomato was located on the Bulloch and Bryan County line, and its one postmaster was John M. Shuman.
Truckers is a community that sat on the Savannah and Statesboro Railroad line, but the few people who remain live along Railroad Bed Road just to the east of Brooklet.
According to old maps, the town of Tuvern (also spelled Tavern sometimes) was located at the head of what was at then called Belchers Mill Creek east of Statesboro.
Established in 1790, the Union Meeting House was the oldest church in Bulloch County which has remained in the same location since its organization.
Title to the church land was acquired from the state by a grant to Joseph Jackson, Jarvis Jackson, Lemuel Williams and Griffin Merrill. It is located on the old Savannah Road near Donegal.
Watersville, also known as Waters, was located one-third of the way from Nevils to Brooklet and was named after Henry J. Waters. The postmaster was Frank S. Thompson.
Wilsons was a community on the Dover and Statesboro Railroad line between the stops of Dover and Clito. When the Central of Georgia Railroad took over the D&S, this stop no longer showed up on the schedule.
The village of Zoar was located on a tributary of the Ogeechee River southeast of Clito, which was the nearest railroad station. Zoar had a population of 100 in 1900.
There was a well-known sulphur springs one-half mile to the east of Zoar which was said to have special healing properties. The postmasters were Flourenoy G. Hodges and James N. Brown. This spot was settled by a group of German Moravian immigrants who came from the Tuscarora area of Eastern Ohio. Their group, “The Society of the Separatists of Zoar” were led by Joseph Bimeler (or Baumeler).
All evidence of the old Zoar Mission Church is long gone. In order to find the old Zoar Cemetery, you must first go the “Old Eureka Cemetery” and search for the original Zoar graves.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at email@example.com.