By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen: Statesboro's mail and its post office: Part Two
roger allen color Web
Roger Allen

    Note: The following is one of a series of columns looking at the establishment of the postal system in the nation, southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.

 

    Statesboro's mail was carried on the train daily to Rocky Ford, from where a rider carried the mail on to Statesboro's post office where it was sorted.

    Once the Dover to Statesboro Railway's line was completed, mail would be transferred from the Central’s main-line train to the local Dover train and carried directly into Statesboro.

    When the Central bought both the Dover and Statesboro and Brewton and Pineora railroads Statesboro's mail was carried by the Central's through trains from Savannah to Dublin.

Once the Savannah and Statesboro Railroad was completed, it began a competing Savannah to Statesboro mail run, and then added a Statesboro to Aaron "mail packet" service as well.

    As each railroad's line served different parts of the county, more and more people began to get regular mail.

    Statesboro Postmaster W.H. Blitch announced in 1910 the city was requesting a new post office, and in January 1911, two federal inspectors arrived to approve a site.

    They selected the site of the J.B. Rushing store in the Brannen Building on South Main Street. The new "rural routes" were served by mail carriers who traveled the dirt roads which headed out from every city like bicycle spokes emanating from the hub.

    These deliveries were made at first by riders on horses, who were replaced by either horse-drawn buggies or wagons, and then eventually by automobiles.

    Inside Statesboro, a clamor grew for mail deliveries to people's homes. Statesboro Postmaster Emit Anderson was told that in order to qualify, every city street would have to have a street sign with its name and every house had to be numbered.

    Therefore, the Statesboro City Council hired C.M. Cumming to do just that. Once the job was finished, from a pool of 11 applicants they appointed C.E. Webb and H.C. McElveen to be the city's first official mailmen. They delivered their first letters on Jan. 1, 1919, and they made twice-daily rounds.

 


            Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter