Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at the founding and general history of southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.
Jerome was a community located to the southeast of Millray. All that is known about Jerome is that the postmasters here were Benjamin R. Sharpe and William F. Thompson.
Bulloch County's town of Jimps was located 6 miles southwest of Statesboro, on what was the Dover & Dublin branch of the Central of Georgia Railroad line. In 1900 it had a population of 81, and a post office.
Some say it was named after its famous resident Jimmerson Kennedy, who served as its first postmaster. Others say it was named after local resident Jimps C. Olliff. Two other postmasters were William B. Corey (or Corie) and Frank D. Olliff.
One of Bulloch County's earliest churches was Jones Church, established in 1776 by Drury and Nancy Jones as the first Methodist Episcopal Society in Bulloch County.
The church was relocated to the bank of Scull Creek in 1806 and renamed Mount Carmel Church in 1831. Sometime around 1870 the church was moved again and renamed Payne's Chapel Church.
The settlement of Josh was located to the southwest of Lon, and was probably named after local resident Josh Deal.
Keel was located between Statesboro and Pretoria Station on the Savannah and Statesboro Railway line. All that is known about Keel is that the postmaster was Keel W. Waters, for whom the town was named.
Located due west of Esla, Ketus was named after Ketus Martin, the son of local resident John Redden. According to the book written by Small, the postmasters here were John Redden Martin and Adin B. Stansell.
The railroad community of Kites Spur was a stop on the Savannah, Augusta and Northern Railroad. Its remnants can now be found to the west of Portal just north of Highway 80 on Chipper Road.
Lanham is located 3 miles north of Geranium, and little is known except that the post office was opened by William N. DeLoach, who first submitted the names Vadna and then Esther, both of which were rejected. It was finally named Lanham.
The town of Laston was located at the terminus of what was the Foy Railroad, which ran westward from Rocky Ford. It was south of Bliss, east of Bloys, west of Fly, and 11 miles from Statesboro. Laston’s postmasters here were William E. Parrish and James A. Brannen. Area families including the Beasleys (or Beaslys), the Birds, and the Parishes, all operated general stores.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at firstname.lastname@example.org.