By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen: More stagecoach mail routes approved in Georgia
roger allen color Web
Roger Allen

    Note: The following is one of a series of columns looking at the first road systems in Georgia and Bulloch County.

 

    These first of these new routes were described in the official “Public Documents...Senate of the United States” (1839). They began with route No. 2,386, which ran from Milledgeville to Monticello, and was to be operated by Benjamin Brookins.

   On Jan. 13, 1838, it was ordered that a contract be made with James Y. Smith “to convey the mail between Bainbridge, Georgia and Appalachicola, Florida, and be carried in steamboats.”

   In an order received on Jan. 22, 1838, the postmaster at Ware's Store, Georgia, was directed to engage a carrier to convey the mail, once a week, between his office and Saluda.

   Then, in the official “Executive Documents, 1857-58” (1858), even more new mail contracts were ordered The first was route No. 6323, which was to run from Milledgeville to Double Wells  in two-horse coaches.

   Another Milledgeville route was established, this being route No. 6324, which was to run from Milledgeville to Covington, and back, twice a week.

   Then there were routes No. 6327, which would run from Powelton to Shoals of Ogechee and back, to Mayfield, once a week; and No. 6387, which would run from Macon to Long Street and back, twice a week.

   Other area stage coach mail routes were route No. 6523, which ran from Dublin to Mount Vernon and back, once a week;  route No. 6525, which ran from Reidsville to Hinesville and back, once a week; and Route No. 6532, which ran from Brunswick to Satilla and back, three times a week, which was run by the Brunswick and Florida Railroad Company.

   Then, the official “Executive Documents” (1859), lists even more stagecoach mail routes approved. These included route No. 6538, from Athens to Pendleton, and route No. 6541, which ran from Lumpkin to Glennville once a week.

   Finally, there were two new railroad terminus routes. The first, route No. 6544, was to run from the terminus of the Brunswick and Florida Railroad to the terminus of the Savannah, Albany, and Gulf Railroad.

   The second was route No. 6545, which was to run from the terminus of Savannah, Albany and Gulf Railroad to Waresboro.

 


            Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. Email Roger at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter