By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Statesboro firefighters rescue victim from house fire
Fire occurred at Wimbledon Court
Statesboro Fire Department W

Statesboro firefighters saved two lives Tuesday when a Wimbledon Court home caught fire; a human victim and a family dog.

The victim suffered severe burns, but the dog was unharmed and turned over to a neighbor, said Lt. Derek Stoddard.

The victim’s condition was unavailable Wednesday and the person’s identity is not being released at this time, he said.

Around 5:30 p.m., Statesboro Fire Department firefighters “responded to an activated fire alarm on Wimbledon Court. Upon arrival, no initial signs were observed and firefighters attempted to make contact with someone at the residence,” he said. “After approaching the front door, first arriving personnel on scene heard audible smoke detectors, looked through the front glass, and noticed smoke in the residence and a flickering of light near the rear of the residence from what appeared to be fire.”

After firefighters met with a keyholder, they entered through the back door and found “heavy smoke and fire conditions in the living room.”  Then, the victim was spotted lying on the floor.

“Rescuing engine company personnel immediately entered the structure, removed the occupant to the back porch of the residence to begin rendering aid, and closed the door back to stop the air flow and limit fire progression,” he said.

Firefighters advised Bulloch Central 911 they had located a victim who was “severely burned, and in need of a medic unit immediately,” Stoddard said. “Units on scene quickly extinguished the fire and performed overhaul operations while tending to the victim until Bulloch County EMS could arrive on scene to stabilize and transport him to East Georgia Regional Medical Center for treatment.”

 Statesboro Fire Chief Tim Grams praised the B-Shift Engine 1 personnel who responded. He recognized Capt. Chris Whitehead, Firefighter Michael Keyfauver, and Fire Apparatus Operator Carlos Nevarez “for their quick and decisive actions that lead to the rescue of an entrapped victim and limited the damage of the fire.” He also gave credit to Bulloch County EMS and the Bulloch County Sherriff’s Office “for their quick rendering of treatment and transport of the patient.”

 

 

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter