Veterans Day is Wednesday and it is a special day set aside to honor all of those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
All state and federal offices and local banks will be closed in observance of the holiday. A community-wide Veterans Day celebration will be held at the Emma Kelly Theater. Pre-service music provided by the GSU Student Brass Quintet directed by Dr. Stephanie Fury begins at 10:30 a.m. followed by the program at 11 a.m. Lonnie Ellis a combat veteran and newly installed Commander of the American Legion Post 90, will be the keynote speaker.
I have compiled a list of some of the local businesses who are offering Veterans Day special offers, discounts and deals for active duty military and veterans on Veterans Day. To take advantage of these generous offers from local businesses you must present your military ID or proof of service:
• Auto Shine Car Wash beside Panera Bread, 50 percent of all car wash services all day.
• Nevil Tire Free oil changes for vets and law enforcement all day.
• Cracker Barrel a Free Double Chocolate Fudge Coca Cola Cake all day. Additionally, 10 percent of all proceeds from the sale of Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake, as well as select retail items will benefit the USO Transition 360 Alliance that assists military personnel and their families' transition into civilian life following their service.
• Applebee's a free meal. Choose from seven entrees, (drink not included), all day.
• Longhorn Steakhouse a free Texas Tonion and non-alcoholic beverage all day.
• Olive Garden a free entrée from a special menu only available on Veterans Day offered all day. All those dining with the veteran will receive 10 percent off their meal.
• Chili's a free meal from a select menu, (drink not included), all day.
• Starbucks free tall brewed coffee for active duty, veterans, and their spouses.
• Daily Grind free coffee all day.
• Bevericks in Metter free buffet meal and a drink all day.
• Little Caesars® Pizza free $5 lunch combo which includes four pieces of deep dish pizza and 20 oz. drink between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
• Fordham's Farmhouse 25 percent off a meal all day
• R.J.'s Grill 25 percent off a meal all day
• Chick-fil-A Statesboro a free #1 meal valid for dine-in customers from 10:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.
BI-LO Wall of Honor campaign: BI-LO's parent company, Southeastern Grocers, has launched this campaign in response to the unbelievable support shown by customers and associates during the July Fourth Independence Day program which raised over $3 million for the Wounded Warrior Project. To support the campaign customers can visit BI-LO and purchase a $1 Dedication Card and write a special message to their own hero. These personal dedications will build the Wall of Honor at each store as a visual tribute to those who served, continue to serve and sacrifice for the nation. Every penny generated through customer donations through November 15th will be donated in support of the WWP Independence Program.
Starbucks is donating $5 to the USO to support service members and their families as they transition to civilian life for every Veterans Starbucks Card or eGift purchased and activated through Wednesday. Starbucks partnered with the Schultz Family Foundation and pledged to join forces across the public, private and non-profit sectors to hire, honor and strengthen the military community and to spark a renewed spirit of responsibility for citizenship in America. And now, just two years in, they have hired more than 5,000 veterans and military spouses, surpassing their halfway goal to hire 10,000 veterans and military spouses by 2018.
I applaud all local businesses who find a special ways to recognize the brave men and women who have served and continue to serve in our Armed Forces.