By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Girl admits making up rape story to cover skipping school
Placeholder Image
    A 14-year-old girl lied about being abducted and raped to cover up for skipping school, police said.
    A detective discovered discrepancies in the girl's tale and learned she was not being truthful, said Statesboro Police Capt. L. C. Williams.
    Officers were dispatched to a South Main location near East Main Street around 9:50 p.m. Tuesday regarding a report of a juvenile female that had been abducted and raped, he said. When officers arrived, the girl said she was abducted from Statesboro High School by " a white male in a green pickup truck ... described as a 40-year-old ... six feet tall, and 150 pounds with brown hair," he said.
    The girl told officers she was sitting in front of the school when the man approached her and forced her into his truck. She said " he blindfolded her and bound her wrists with rope ... took her to a remote area and raped her two separate times ..." he said.
    Williams said the girl told officers the man brought her back to Statesboro and "dumped her out on Fair Road near Zetterower Avenue. She then walked" to the area where she met with officers and "saw an adult whom she asked to call 911."
    The girl was taken to East Georgia Regional Medical Center for treatment, and Det. Robert Bryan spoke with her during his investigation of the reported incident, Williams said.
    Bryan "found parts of the juvenile's story that did not make sense," he said.
    "Other parts of her account of the events were later disproven and her story changed when she was confronted with this information," he said. After further investigation and a follow-up interview, the girl told Bryan "she had made the entire story up."
    The girl then confessed she had "skipped school and was not where she was supposed to be picked up by her mother ... and that is when she concocted this story," he said.
    The girl was charged with false report of a crime and issuing false statements, he said. After the Department of Juvenile Justice was contacted, the girl was released back into the custody of her parents. Court action is pending, he said.
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter