By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire destroys Claxton mobile home
fire image

A Claxton family's home was destroyed by fire Tuesday night after a child knocked over a space heater.

Evans County Fire Chief Andy Sikes said the Evans County Disaster Action Team responded to the mobile home on Cedar Creek Road in Claxton around 9:45 p.m., and found the home engulfed in flames.

A child had toppled an electric space heater in the living room, igniting the blaze, Sikes said. An adult in the home went to a neighboring residence to call for help, but firefighters were unable to save the home.

The family of two adults and three children escaped unharmed but lost everything, including new purchases meant for Christmas, Sikes said.

The American Red Cross provided the family with emergency needs such as a place to stay, food and clothing.

 

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter