By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Train service brings daily mail to Boro, Bulloch Co.
Bulloch History
roger allen
Roger Allen

Note: The following is part of a series of articles looking at the establishment of post offices and mail delivery in southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.)


Post office records show that Postmaster Gen. W.T. Barry wrote on May 17, 1832, “The (stage) route from Savannah to Augusta (ran) daily...(and) Savannah to Macon (ran) twice a week.”

The “Milledgeville (to) Tallahassee (stage ran) twice a week.” Report #103 (1835) explained the Postmaster General had allocated an extra $4,000 so that the Georgia route would be run daily instead of three times a week.”

Georgia branches which sold the most postage in 1825 were Savannah ($10,814.24) and Augusta ($9,261.64). Georgia’s current state capital, Milledgeville, had the third-highest sales ($2,489.26).

Georgia’s capital city before Milledgeville, Louisville had much lower sales ($237.28). Towns in and around Bulloch County had smaller sales: Birdsville ($64.23); Statesboro ($25.46); Swainsboro ($28.82); and Waynesboro ($353.55).

Post offices continued to be established in Southeast Georgia. The document “Table of Post Offices in the United States” (1846), prepared by Postmaster General Cave Johnson, tells the tale.

Screven County had the most post offices in the area: Armenia, Buck Creek, Jacksonborough Court House, Mill Haven, Mobley Pond, Halcyon Dale, Black Creek and Scarborough.

Other area post offices included Eden in Bryan County; Reform and Springfield in Effingham County; Statesboro in Bulloch County; and the Swainsborough Court House in Emanuel County.

Tremayne’s Table of the Post-Offices (1850) listed the post offices in “Bullock County.” They were Mill Ray, with postmaster Hardy B. Hodges; and “Statesborough” in 1823, with postmaster Allen Waters.

Adiel Sherwood’s A Gazetteer of Georgia (1860), listed three post offices in Bulloch County. They were Bengal; Mill Ray, or Mill Ray; and Statesborough, which was shortened to Statesboro in 1866.

New post offices opened in Bulloch County: In the 1870’s there were Wright's Bridge, Red Branch, Ivanhoe, and in Haginsville; the 1880’s brought Blackacre, Blitch, Brag (Waters’ store), and Clark.

In the 1880s there were more: DeLoach, DeWitt, Enal, (Simmons’ store) Eric, Flatford, Gem, Green (Green’s store), Harville (Wilson’s store), Laston, Nellwood, Sink and Zoar.

Then, the 1880s morphed into the 1890s. There were in Aaron (Groover’s store), Arlene (Warnock’s store), Black (Moore’s store), Bloys (DeLoach’s store), Brooklet, Callie, Carlos, Clito, Dock and Echo.

Also, in Emit (Emit Anderson’s store), Equip, Esla, and Fly (March’s store), Herschel, Hubert, Iric (Boyd’s store), Jerome, Jimps (Akins’ store). Lilly, Lon (Lanier’s store), Ludovic (Knight’s store) and Myers (Hendrix’s store).

And in Nevils, Parrish (Pulaski’s store), Portal, Proctor, Register, Requisite, Rufus (Rawl’s store), Sam (Campbell’s store), Shearwood, Siko, Snap, Star (Brannen’s store), Stilson, Swamp and in Vons (Campbell’s store).

The “Official Postal Guide” (1911) listed Georgia’s post offices: Aaron, Arcola, Blitch, Brooklet, Clito, Grimshaw, Hubert, Ivanhoe, Jimps, Lucetta, Metter, Parish, Portal, Pulaski, Register, Statesboro and Stilson.

Even more new post offices opened in Bulloch County. They were opened in Adabelle, Adelaide, Essie Lee (or Essielee), Geranium, Jay, Keel, Ketus, Lanham, Ludovic, Omie, Rose Lane (Roselane) and Waters.

According to post office records, the last four post offices in Bulloch County were Olney in 1912, Colfax in 1913, Leefield in 1920, and open in 1928, “Collegeboro,” as the Georgia Teachers College P.O. was known.

According to the Bulloch Herald’s issue of July 21, 1960, “Collegeboro is no more, effective August 1, 1960. Georgia Southern College’s post office will be a branch of Statesboro’s Post Office.”

“Known officially as Georgia Southern Branch, (the person in) charge of the Georgia Southern Branch P.O. will be Mrs. Jackie A. Strange. Collegeboro was only the name of the P.O., and (not) any geographic location.”


Roger Allen is a local lover of history who provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail him at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter