Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at points of interest throughout the history of Bulloch County.
Stretching from Mount Pleasant and the indian town of Tuckasseeking on the Savannah River, the Mount Pleasant indian path passed through northeastern Effingham County, crossing the Ogeechee River at Oliver. There, it entered Bulloch County, passing to the south of Register, and continuing on to Cobbtown. From there, it went through Lyons, reaching the Ocmulgee River at Bell's Ferry on the Oconee River not far from “The Forks” at the junction of the Oconee and Ocmulgee Rivers where the Altamaha River begins. The Burkhalter Road followed the exact route of this path when it was first built.
Saint Philip's Parish
The area of one of the first eight parishes in the colony of Georgia, established on March 17, 1758 by direction of the second Royal Governor of Georgia, Henry Ellis. It encompassed the area that included what became Bulloch and Bryan counties. It stretched from the banks of the Great Ogeechee River to the lower indian paths leading to Mount Pleasant and south of the town of Hardwicke to the swamps owned by James Dunham.
The first residents of Saint Philips Parish were: David Fox, William Harvey, Joseph Butler Jr., William Butler, John Fox, Thomas Goldsmith, John McLean, Simon Munro and Joseph Summer, who lived or around Great Ogeechee; and John Davis, John and Mary Maxwell, and Wentworth Webb, who lived at different locations around the parish.
There were two different places in the Bulloch County area which were originally called “Indian Bluffs.” This location was renamed Scull's Bluff because it sat on Sculls Creek. The western slope of Sculls Bluff sat 270 feet above the river, and was known for its steep face that drops sharply down to the riverbank. The Eastern slope, a high sandy ridge, descended over 1 mile back from the river towards modern-day Millen. When Gen. Oglethorpe traveled to meet with the indians at Coweta Town on the Alabama border, he crossed the Ogeechee River here as he followed the Mount Pleasant indian path. Scull Creek was eventually made the dividing line between Bulloch and Emanuel County. Not long thereafter, this spot was renamed Paramore Hill. Residents often pronounced it “Perrymore.” Some documents say it was named after a family that bought land at this spot. When an application was made for a post office in 1883, it was given the name “Paramore Station.” The Central of Georgia Railroad built a depot here, which they called the “Paramore Hill” station.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at email@example.com.