By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen: Bulloch loses Canoe to Emanuel, then Candler Co.
roger allen color Web
Roger Allen

Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at the founding and general history of southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.


The railroad depot at Canoe, also known as Canoe Station, was located on what was at that time the Emanuel and Bulloch County border just west of Metter. With Bulloch County's border adjustments, this community was first lost to Emanuel County, and then later was lost to Candler County.

Located just north of the Bulloch and Bryan County border, and situated between Tomato and Groveland, was the settlement of Carlos. Its only postmaster was James N. McElveen.

Clark was situated north of Portal on what was then known as Pleasant Hill Road. The postmasters here were William P. Brannen and Frank D. Olliff.

One of the surviving Bulloch County towns, Clito, is located 5 miles northeast of Statesboro about halfway to the town of Dover in Effingham County. Originally a depot stop on the Dover and Statesboro Railroad line, it also became a stop on the Fulford Bus Company’s route between Dover and Statesboro. The first stores here were owned by the Talon and MacDougald and the Outland and Woodcock companies. There were also a grist mill and turpentine still. At one point, Clito even had its own newspaper, the “Clito Clippings.” 

The first postmaster was Benjamin F. Hagan, whose first choice for the new post office's name, Hagan, was rejected. Later, Walter E. MacDougald took over as postmaster of the post office, which was located in his store at that time.

Colfax, also called Colfax Station by the locals, sat on the Savannah, Augusta and Northern Railway line. What remains of the town is located at the intersection of Colfax West Road and Friendship Church Road north of Statesboro on Highway 80. 

The town was named after Schuyler Colfax, who was the vice president of the United States from 1867-1873. The postmaster was Jasper N. Akins.

Cromley was a stop along the Shearwood Railroad, situated south of Statesboro between the towns of Alderman and Brooklet.


Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter