By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen - Atlanta cargo ship torpedoed in WWII
roger allen colorWeb
Roger Allen

    Between 1850 and 1870, four large cargo ships named the Atlanta were built in New England and the Canadian Maritimes. The first weighed 699 tons; while the last weighed 1,064 tons.
    Several oil tankers named Atlanta were built between 1900 and 1950 named Atlanta, the most famous being the "SS Atlanta City," which weighed in at 5,687 tons and was 425 feet long.
    Built in 1921 at the Chickasaw Shipbuilding and Car Company in Chickasaw, Ala., this Atlanta was one of the Isthmian Line's freighters. She remained in service until 1959, when she was sold for scrap to Japan.
    The 5,433-ton "City of Atlanta" was built by John Roach's shipbuilding yard in Pennsylvania in 1904 for the Ocean Steamship Company of Savannah, Georgia. Once World War II started, the City of Atlanta carried only cargo.
    Unfortunately, she was torpedoed and sunk on Jan. 19, 1942 while off of Cape Hatteras, N.C., by the German submarine U-123, with a loss of 54 lives.
    A special-purpose ship which has become the ship of choice for most world-wide shipping is the "Containership," which carries thousands of container boxes loaded inside the hull and onto the deck.
    The first containerships named Atlanta were relatively small: the first weighed 10,733 tons; while the second weighed 10,868 tons. However, a new containership named Atlanta was built in 2005 in South Korea weighing 89,097 tons.
    In addition, a new super-tanker named Atlanta weighing in at 162,198 tons was built in 2010 in South Korea, and a new bulk carrier weighing 43,024 tons was built in 2010 in China.
            
    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter