By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen - Better, Bliss and Bland in Bulloch
roger allen colorWeb
Roger Allen

    Note: The following is the fifth in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.

    Who could think of a better name for a town than, well, Better? Elisha S. Woods was postmaster of Better, a community that was located just north of Middleground Road on Metts Road.
    Another of the first towns in Bulloch County was Black, named after J.W. Black. The town was located east of Statesboro in what eventually was renamed Leefield. Its post office was open from 1883–87, with postmasters Winfield S. Lee and then Emma S. Bradley.
    Settled even earlier in the area was Blackacre, which later became known as Black. The postmaster there was Winfield S. Lee, who served in Cpt. Samuel Harville's Company D of the 2nd Georgia Infantry  during the Civil War.
    One of the many railroad towns that popped up across Bulloch County was Bland, which was referred to by some as Bland's Spur. This village was a stop on the Savannah, Augusta and Northern Railway. What is left of the town is located halfway between Portal and Highway 67 along Highway 80.
    The village of Bliss was located on Sculls Creek on the northwestern boundary of Bulloch County, some 20 miles from Statesboro. The nearest railroad station was Portal on the Foy Railroad line. When Andrew J. Knight became postmaster, he originally asked to name the community Merry, which was rejected. Finally, he suggested Bliss, which was accepted. It later became part of Jenkins County.
    The town of Blitch is located 10 miles from Statesboro and two miles from the Ogeechee River at the intersection of Lakeview Road and Old River Road North. It was built as a stagecoach stop about six miles southwest of Dover, which became the nearest railway station. Blitch had a population of 51 in 1900. Its post office was located in the W.H. Blitch store, and the postmasters were William H. Blitch and W. Oscar Lane.
           
    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter