By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Two men seriously injured in house fire
Placeholder Image
    Statesboro firefighters responded to three house fires Tuesday,  and one fire resulted in two serious injuries.
    Statesboro Fire Chief Dennis Merrifield said two men suffered second degree burns when gasoline ignited and burned a garage.
    Lawrence Desommes and Larry Marsh, ages unavailable, were working on a motorcycle and gasoline spilled, Merrifield said. Somehow the gasoline ignited from a gas-powered water heater and burst into flames.
    The house, a split-level structure on Mobley Drive, suffered smoke damage, but the garage suffered major fire damage, he said. Marsh and Desommes were transported to East Georgia Regional for treatment and were likely transported further to Augusta, he said.
    Firefighters also responded Tuesday to a house fire on Inman Street. There were people inside when the fire started, but no one was injured, he said.
    Statesboro firefighters were also called for "mutual aid" assistance to help the Nevils Fire Department battle a house fire on Mill Branch Club Road. There was no one home at the time, he said.
    Merrifield did not have details on the causes of the fires, as reports were incomplete and the fires still under investigation, he said.
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter