By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
GT/UGA rivalry continues on basketball court
uga web
Georgia forward Osahen Iduwe (15) and Georgia Tech forward Nick Jacobs (32) jump for a rebound during the second half of Saturday's game in Athens, Ga. - photo by Associated Press

ATHENS, Ga. — J.J. Frazier knew he was in for a hot-shooting day when his first 3-pointer "felt better than normal."

For Frazier, it was a sign he needed to keep launching the long-range shots.

Frazier scored a season-high 35 points while sinking six 3s, and Georgia beatGeorgia Tech 75-61 on Saturday to end a streak of four straight losses in the state rivalry.

Asked to explain how a shot can feel better than normal, Frazier said "When you shoot it wrong and it still gets nothing but net. ... I knew if I could just get my hand right on the ball, it would probably go in."

The undersized (5-10, 155) junior guard made six of nine 3s.

Frazier iced Georgia's lead by making each of his eight free throws in the final 90 seconds. He was helped off the court after collapsing due to cramping with only 12 seconds remaining. He said after the game he was OK.

Yante Maten added 17 points for Georgia (5-3).

The loss to Georgia was the first for the Yellow Jackets (7-3) under fifth-year coach Brian Gregory.

"Give them credit," Gregory said. "We didn't play very well and I think they were a big reason why we didn't. ... Frazier obviously had a great game and we struggled guarding him."

Tadric Jackson had 14 points for Georgia Tech, which led 34-33 at halftime but fell behind when Frazier hit a 3-pointer as part of the Bulldogs' 9-0 run to open the second half.

The 9-0 run gave Georgia a 42-34 lead. Adam Smith, who had 11 points, ended the run with his first of three straight 3-pointers to keep the Yellow Jackets close. Houston Kessler's basket with 13:50 remaining pushed Georgia's lead to double figures for the first time at 53-43.

Maten and Frazier combined for 24 of Georgia's 33 first-half points. No other Georgiaplayer had more than three points in the half.

Georgia's big lead was 12 points at 64-52 on Maten's jumper with four minutes remaining. The Bulldogs didn't make another field goal but iced the game on free throws.

Georgia Tech's Marcus Georges-Hunt said it seemed the Bulldogs "were a step faster than us today. We were losing balls and it seemed like they were getting them all and we weren't active enough."