By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
GSU falters on road at Campbell

Southern Conference Basketball Standings
Team                SoCon  All
Elon            0-0    7-6
Georgia Southern    0-0    7-8
UNC Greensboro        0-0    7-8
Western Carolina    0-0    7-8
Chattanooga            0-0    6-8
Furman            0-0    5-7
Wofford            0-0    5-7
Samford            0-0    6-9
Appalachian State    0-0    4-8
Davidson            0-0    4-9
Citadel            0-0    4-10

Monday's Scores   
    Campbell 69, Georgia Southern 63
    Wofford 81, High Point 53
    NC State 68, UNC Greensboro 64             Appalachian State 97, Bluefield 70
    Western Carolina 106, Milligan 72
    Chattanooga 86, Maine 80
    Samford 71, Presbyterian 59
    Furman at UC Davis, late.

    BUIES GREEK, N.C. —Georgia Southern cut Campbell’s advantage from 14 to one inside of two minutes, but a late flurry of scoring from the home side gave the Fighting Camels a 69-63 win in the final game of 2013 for both teams.
    The Eagles finish non-conference play at 7-8 and open their final Southern Conference campaign on Saturday afternoon against Samford from 2 p.m., inside Hanner Fieldhouse.
    “We had too many guys not play well tonight and because we don’t have a lot of depth, we’ve got to have everyone play well for us to win,” GSU coach Mark Byington said. “We got some guys in foul trouble in the second half so we had to make a switch to zone to protect some of our guys. A major emphasis for us was getting them off the 3-point line. In the first half they had a lot of players who normally don’t shoot well make some big 3-pointers. We did a much better job of closing out in the second half.”
    Georgia Southern rebounded from a poor first half from the field to shoot 41 percent for the evening. The Eagles matched their fewest 3-pointers of the season with just four buckets from downtown.
    Campbell took a 14-point advantage with 10 minutes left in the game, paving the way for an Eagle comeback.
    Marvin Baynham sparked the rally with a dunk which punctuated his 11-point scoring night. The Eagles ultimately rattled off five-straight points to imitate the comeback.
    Tre Bussey scored seven of his team-high 18 points in the final five minutes. His layup with 2:36 cut the lead to four. On the next possession Brian Holmes drained a 3 to slice Campbell’s lead to one with 2:01 left.
    Campbell, however, made back-to-back layups on the ensuing two possessions to send the lead back to five points with 33 seconds left. Jelani Hewitt earned a foul on a three-point shot on the next trip down the floor and added three points to his total of 13 for the night.
    The Eagles fouled twice on the next two possessions, but were unable to score again.