By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Police identify body of missing Chicago woman
Missing Woman ILMG1 5245981
Law enforcement authorities investigate the scene where the body of a woman was found on the edge of a forest preserve Thursday, Sept. 27, 2007, in Calumet City, Ill., not far from where a missing Chicago woman's car had been abandoned. Family members of 28-year-old Nailah Franklin gathered near the Wentworth Woods Forest Preserve where Calumet City Police Chief Russell Larson confirmed an unidentified woman's body had been found. - photo by Associated Press
    CHICAGO — A badly decomposed body found behind several vacant businesses in Calumet City this week is that of a Chicago woman reported missing nine days ago, authorities said Friday.
    Dental records were used to identify the body of Nailah Franklin, 28, who was reported missing Sept. 19 after she didn’t show up for a work meeting, Chicago police spokeswoman Monique Bond said. The cause of death has not been determined, though forensic evidence was still being processed, Bond said.
    The woman’s unclothed body was discovered Thursday not far from where her car was found in Hammond, Ind., last week.
    Telephone messages left Friday with family members were not immediately returned.
    Bond said investigators have not determined where the woman died, and department investigators are working with the FBI and Calumet City police. She said the case is being characterized as a death investigation, not a homicide investigation, because the cause of death had not yet been determined.
    Franklin, a sales representative for Indianapolis-based Eli Lilly, had recently filed a police report about threatening phone calls she received from a man she dated briefly. Chicago police have said they have interviewed someone Franklin dated, but have not named a suspect in her disappearance.
    Her disappearance triggered a frantic search. Family members and volunteers papered the city with fliers, took out a newspaper ad seeking the public’s help and launched a Web site. The family also offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to her whereabouts.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter