By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Woman disarmed at University of Louisville health center; 2 kids found dead at off-campus home
Placeholder Image
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Two children were found dead in a home Thursday morning by police sent to check on them after an armed University of Louisville student was briefly involved in a hostage situation on campus.
    The woman, a student, was disarmed in about a half-hour and there were no injuries on campus, officials said.
    But as a result, university police asked city police to check on the children in an off-campus home. Louisville Officer Phil Russell said officers found them ‘‘fatally wounded.’’ Police would not comment further on their cause of death.
    Police would not say if the woman was their mother.
    University President James Ramsey confirmed that the armed woman is a student but would not identify her. He says she was taken from the university to a hospital psychiatric ward.
    Responding to the woman, police arrived at the university’s health services building at 8:39 a.m. and found a hostage situation, university spokeswoman Cindy Hess said. Hess says she doesn’t know how many people were taken hostage. The woman was disarmed shortly after 9 a.m. There were no injuries, Hess said.
    The school sent safety alerts to student phones, cell phones and posted one on its Web site. Hess says the campus was not locked down.
    The two-story red brick home where the children were found is in a tidy middle-class neighborhood. A garden at the home has a statue of two children playing with a bicycle. The neighborhood is about 10 miles south of the university campus.
    A neighbor, Patty Schneider, said a woman and her two children — a boy roughly in his early teens, and a girl who was about 11 or 12, lived in the home.
    She said the neighborhood is normally quiet and the neighbors generally know each other.
    ‘‘It just all seems like it’s going to be a bad dream and I’m going to wake up from it,’’ said Schneider, who lives directly across the street. ‘‘How am I ever going to look out the front of my house again?’’
    A next-door neighbor, Sheryl Hayven, said police stopped by her house Thursday morning asking about them. Hayven said detectives were asking when the children were last seen and if she had heard anything.
    ‘‘They were good neighbors,’’ Hayven said. ‘‘It’s just kind of a shock.’’
    Associated Press writers Rebecca Yonker and Bruce Schreiner contributed to this report.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter