By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Prosecutor to make announcement next week on possible charges against Detroit mayor
Placeholder Image
    DETROIT — Prosecutor Kym Worthy promised Wednesday not to further delay announcing whether she will bring perjury or other charges against Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and his former top aide.
    Her decision had been expected by the middle of this month, but Worthy pushed the announcement back.
    ‘‘It will be next week, for sure,’’ the Wayne County prosecutor said.
    Worthy has been looking into claims that Kilpatrick and one-time Chief of Staff Christine Beatty lied under oath during a whistle-blowers’ trial last summer when they denied having a romantic relationship in 2002 and 2003.
    The Detroit Free Press in January reported excerpts of text messages on Beatty’s city-issued pager that contradict their testimony.
    A perjury conviction for lying under oath could bring up to 15 years in prison and force Kilpatrick to resign.
    On Tuesday, the Detroit City Council approved a nonbinding resolution asking Kilpatrick to step down, but he has said repeatedly he won’t.
    ‘‘I’m more focused now than I’ve ever been in this job,’’ Kilpatrick said after Tuesday’s vote. ‘‘I think I’ve grown up a lot in this process, and I think we’re moving forward.’’

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter