By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Connecticut woman tells police: Come and arrest me, I drowned my grandson
Placeholder Image
    HARTFORD, Conn. — A woman calmly told a dispatcher that she drowned her 2-year-old grandson in the bathtub and wanted officers ‘‘to shoot me, if they could,’’ according to 911 recordings released Wednesday.
    Three days later, Marcia Maglisco, 62, hanged herself.
    She called West Hartford dispatchers Friday to report the death of Aidan Blake Halter, who she was baby-sitting.
    ‘‘I need the police to come and arrest me, I drowned my grandson,’’ Maglisco told the dispatcher, adding a few moments later, ‘‘I want the police to shoot me, if they could.’’
    The dispatcher asked Maglisco to revive the baby, but she wouldn’t, saying she had tried but was ‘‘psychotic.’’ Maglisco said she also telephoned the baby’s mother at work and told her the child was dead.
    ‘‘I have to go up and get him ready so she won’t see him undressed, OK?’’ Maglisco told the dispatcher.
    ‘‘No, don’t touch that baby,’’ the dispatcher ordered, ‘‘unless you’re going to do something to try and bring him back.’’
    Maglisco was charged that day with one count of risk of injury to a minor.
    Police took her to a hospital for observation because they were concerned about her mental state, police Chief James Strillacci said. The hospital evaluated and released her, he said.
    Officers monitored her in her jail cell until her family posted the $250,000 bond Saturday and she left.
    ‘‘We kept a very close watch on her, more than the usual precautions,’’ Strillacci said. ‘‘There was nothing further we could do to protect her after that point, being outside our custody.’’
    An autopsy concluded Tuesday that she hanged herself.
    Family members described Maglisco as devoted to Aidan and his older sister, Bryce.
    ‘‘She took care of these kids since the time they were born,’’ said her husband, Frank Maglisco. ‘‘Been with them their whole life. Her life was those kids.’’
    Strillacci said police don’t anticipate charging anyone else.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter