By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Tip leads to capture of armed robbery suspect
Markuis Demetruis Curtis

An armed robbery suspect whom police said sent threatening text messages to the victim for reporting the incident is now behind bars, thanks to a tip from a citizen.

            Markuis Demetruis Curtis, 19, Mallory Street, Sylvania, saw his photo in the Statesboro Herald last weekend and began sending text messages to the victim he is accused of robbing, said Statesboro Police Det. Tommy Brown.

            But someone else saw Curtis' photo and an article about his being sought by police, and tipped off the Bulloch County Sheriff's Department, said Statesboro Police Chief Stan York.

            Bulloch County Sheriff's officials then notified the Sylvania Police Department, and officers from that agency located and arrested Curtis around 5:30 a.m. Sunday, he said.

            Curtis is being held in the Bulloch County Jail without bond, charged with the following felonies: armed robbery, kidnapping, aggravated assault, terroristic threats and influencing a witness, he said.

            Brown explained the kidnapping charge as stemming from Curtis forcing the victim to the ground during the robbery. The aggravated assault charge is from Curtis firing at least two shots during the incident, he said. The terroristic threats and influencing a witness charges are from the text messages Brown said Curtis sent the victim.

            The armed robbery occurred May 4, when Curtis called the victim to set up a meeting regarding buying musical "beats" – CDs of music backgrounds to which rappers perform, York said.

            Statesboro Police Advanced Patrol Officer Larry Futch responded to the victim's report of being robbed on Groover Lane. The victim told Futch he invited Curtis into his vehicle to listen to the beats he had for sale.

            But then Curtis "pulled out a handgun, and demanded his money," York said.  The victim told Futch the offender, whom was later identified as Curtis, "took his keys, his cell-phone, and his wallet with contents ... made him lay down on the ground, and then fired two shots."

            Brown responded to the scene, processed it and recovered evidence that led to Curtis' identification, he said.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter