By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Portal man stable after suffering injuries in house fire
Resident apparently fell asleep while cooking
W fire truck

A Portal man is in stable condition after being airlifted to Augusta for treatment of smoke inhalation and minors burns suffered in a house fire Saturday night.

Melvin Futch, 46, of a Railroad Street Extension, address in Portal, was apparently cooking in his house when he possibly fell asleep. Futch later told police and firefighters that he was awakened by the smoke after the fire ignited and was trying to put out the flames when he collapsed, said Bulloch County fire Chief Christopher Ivey.

Around 10:30 p.m., Futch's neighbor Richard Woods saw flames coming from the back of the house and ran inside to find Futch collapsed. Woods dragged Futch to the living room and went outside for air. At that point, Portal police Sgt. Bobby Ivey (Chief Ivey's father) joined him in the rescue efforts, Christopher Ivey said.

Sgt. Ivey and Woods dragged Futch outside, where he remained unconscious until Bulloch County EMS arrived. EMS called Air Evac and had Futch flown to a hospital in Augusta for treatment of smoke inhalation and "minor burns on his forehead," Chief Ivey said.

Sgt. Ivey said Monday that Futch was in stable condition.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter