By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Lumber yard fire involved sawdust
Statesboro Fire Department W

A fire Friday night at Howard Lumber Company was caused by sawdust igniting.

Statesboro Fire Chief Tim Grams said firefighters were called out just after 7 p.m. Friday to battle the blaze. There was minimal damage, with the flames confined to the hopper, and no reported injuries, he said.

While the fire had the appearance of being a major issue, actually, the ignition of sawdust in sawmill hoppers is not uncommon, he said.

The sawdust becomes heated quickly and can combust during the milling process. Firefighters responded to the location at least once earlier this year for the same reason, he said.

While firefighters worked to extinguish the flames and prevent them from spreading lumber yard employees “offloaded” the hopper and further assisted in controlling the fire, he said.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter