By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire scare at CCAT
W CHARTER FIRE 02
Evacuated students, parents, and faculty wait anxiously at Charter Conservatory for the Arts and Technology as firefighters address an electrical fire at the school Friday. - photo by SCOTT BRYANT/staff

     Students, parents, and faculty were evacuated from the Charter Conservatory for the Arts and Technology as firefighters addressed an electrical fire at the school Friday.

     Students at the school were evacuated after a faulty air conditioner filled the building with smoke. Statesboro Fire Chief Dennis Merrifield said there were no actual flames, and the building's alarm system was sounding as firefighters responded to the call around 1 p.m. Friday. Merrifield said school officials kept the students outside about 30 minutes, and then began dismissing them for the day after the incident. No one was injured, he said.

      Apparently someone saw smoke and pulled an alarm, prompting the evacuation, he said. The building's sprinkler system was working properly, but there was no real damage, as there was no actual fire. Firefighters advised school officials to follow up with a heating and air repairman to replace the air conditioner, Merrifield said.

     The charter school, located on Northside Drive East, once housed a farm supply business.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter