By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen - Social Circle one of earliest communities in Bulloch
roger allen colorWeb
Roger Allen

    Note: The following is the 26th in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.

    One of the very earliest communities in Bulloch County, Social Circle was located several miles east of Statesboro. Local residents recorded that the village of Social Circle was established in Bulloch County sometime before 1818.
    It is said that passersby would stop here, pull out a jug and sit down and share their spirits, enjoying the conviviality. Hence, the spot became known as the “social circle.”
    A Bulloch County land plat dated 1807 states that there was a road from Bulloch’s Social Circle going north that intersected with the main Indian trail that went from Winder to Columbus, which was known to locals as “the road to the circle.”
    In fact, the official history of the Social Circle United Methodist Church in Walton states that “a visitor or new resident from Bulloch County may have been the source of that (the town’s) name.”
    The Walton community sat astride two famous Indian trails: the Hightower Trail, which got its name from the fact that it crossed the state to the Etowah River Cherokee villages, and the Rogue Road, which was known to be used by, among others, a local horse thief to move his stolen animals.
    Snap, also referred to as Snapp, was a village northeast of Brag. Clito was the nearest railroad station. All that is known about Snap is that, according to the book written by Small, the postmaster there was James N. Brunson. His first choice of name for the new post office, Brunson, was rejected, and Snap was assigned.
    Star was a village that sat on Big Lotts Creek and was located 4 miles north of the Jimps station on the Bruton and Pineora Railroad line. All that is known about Star is that, according to the book written by Small, the post office there was located in Postmaster James A. Brannen’s house.

    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter