Note: The following is part of a series of articles looking at the origin of roads in southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.)
The Bulloch Times-Statesboro News-Statesboro Eagle announced “Work is commenced on Pembroke Road.” The first project is for “slightly more than two miles, beginning at Fair Road and South Main street.”
It was to “extend to a point near Mrs. Edwin Groover’s farm. Included in the project are a number of bridges and culverts. The contract price for the work is approximately $14,000 for the 2-mile project.”
The Bulloch Times-Statesboro Ness-Statesboro Eagle of November 28, 1935 announced a “Select Route for Pembroke Road. Procuring of right-of-way is now engaging attention of Chairman Hodges.”
It reported that County Commissioner Hodges is “procuring the deeds to the right-of-way. The route (diverges) from South Main Street at a point near the city limits on the Register road.”
From there, it ran “eastward by McDougald-Page still, running (by) the present road until it reaches the Lester Martin home 6 miles east of Statesboro.”
Here, the highway will “run an air-line to that point, (curve) to the right and (follow) closely the present road to Denmark station and thence to Pembroke.”
At this point, the “route traverses an entirely new section to the Martin home, (through) fields and farms, which (aroused) considerable opposition on the part of property owners.”
The paper revealed, “of the 20 or more property owners thus affected, 5 or 6 are said to be rather vehement in their opposition.” Thus, the division engineer expressed “an inclination to follow route No 2.”
This route “diverges from the Register road at a point just south of the Teachers College, and runs also through entirely new country to Denmark.” These proposed were up to 2 miles apart.”
In addition, “the engineers state that it can be constructed at a cost of approximately $20,000 less than the route first named.” Finally, a new road is going to be built from Statesboro to Pembroke.
The Bulloch Herald issue of May 21, 1937 announced that “Rushing Creek Bridge Started on Statesboro to Pembroke Road.” F.W. Hodges of the County Commission estimated the cost of the bridge to be $5,000.
And, “The county convicts are now busy top-soiling the 4 miles stretch of the Statesboro-Pembroke road from the city limits to a point 4 miles south of Statesboro.
A survey was completed to the Bryan County line. Chairman Hodges revealed “there will be 3 main curves from Statesboro to the line and only 4 light curves.” The old road had some 100 curves.
Then, the Bulloch Herald issue of July 2, 1937 revealed that “Work on Pembroke Road Moves Ahead, as work (was) begun on new bridge and 1.65 miles (from) Brooks Rushing farm and the Buie Anderson farm.”
It stated “The new road project and the bridge will cost $18,000. The work will be done by convict labor (and will be) paved later. The convicts finished top-soiling through Brooklet.”
“The Bulloch Times-Statesboro News-Statesboro Eagle of October 16, 1942 revealed that “Bulloch county (will begin) completing certain important missing links in the grading of the Statesboro-Pembroke highway.”
Work “will begin immediately (on) the road between the Gus DeLoach place and Bryan county line, (some) 6 miles. Some work was done on this road last year by the state highway forces.”
Then, the Bulloch Times-Statesboro News-Statesboro Eagle issue of December 2, 1937 announced “Bulloch county chain gang (will) complete the grading (from) the W.H. Anderson home, to Denmark (about) 6 miles.”
And, “the contract price (is) approximately $80,000 including important bridges and culverts. The completion of the grading to Denmark will approximate half the distance between Statesboro and Pembroke.”
Roger Allen is a local lover of history who provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.