Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at the founding and general history of southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.
The community of Bloys was located northeast of Metter near the headwaters of Lotts Creek. It became famous in some circles when the shrub “Elliottia Racemosa” (a Labrador Tea plant named after Dr. Stephen Elliott, the author of “The Botany of South Carolina and Georgia”) was re-discovered in the early 19th century by botanist Roland M. Harper, who came to visit local resident professor J.W. Hendricks.
The town of Bloys, it turns out, was named after Bloys Deal, its first postmaster. Bowen's Mill was located on the Nevils-Daisy Road between the intersection with Nevils-Groveland Road and the intersection of Highway 280 alongside Bowen Lake.
The village of Brag, also spelled Bragg, had a population of 100 in 1900. It was located about 7 miles southeast of Statesboro, the site of the nearest railway station. The postmasters were William A. Waters and George A. Beasley.
The only place Branham's Store is listed apparently is in Marion R. Hemperley's book “Cities, Towns, and Communities.” Some local historians think the name may have actually been a misspelling of “Brannen's Store,” of which there were many scattered throughout Bulloch County.
The town of Brooklet was originally settled as “Black Creek Bill Lee's place.” By 1900 the community, which was now known as Nellwood, had grown to a population of 180 and was situated 9 miles southeast of Statesboro on the Savannah and Statesboro Railway line.
The first postmaster, Andrew J. Lee, suggested the town be given the names (in succession) of Troy, Leesville, Leeland, and then Sunbright before finally getting the name of Brooklet, approved by the postmaster general of the United States.
The first post office opened at J.B. Cone and W.C. Parker's store, which they built on one of the lots which they had purchased along the new railroad line. J.A. Warnock owned a cotton gin, J.N. Shearouse owned a sawmill and N.J. Wilson owned a general store.
Callie, which may have also been listed as “Gallic” on some maps, was located 6 miles northeast of Brooklet, half-way between Black and Jerome. The postmaster here was Henry R. Waters.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at firstname.lastname@example.org.