By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen: Rocky Ford becomes first seat of Screven County
roger allen color Web
Roger Allen

Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at the founding and general history of southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.

 

All that is known about the hamlet of Requisite is that the postmaster was Henry C. Carr, who also served as the postmaster of Gem.

River Road was flag-stop on the Midland Railway between Leeland and Guyton at the intersection of the Ogeechee River and Old River Road.

Rocky Ford served as the first governmental seat of Screven County. At first, “court” was held in Benjamin Lanier's house on the banks of the Ogeechee River. Newlyweds would come to cross the Ogeechee River at Rocky Ford (where a solid rock bed spanned the entire river bed for some 500 feet), across which the man would carry his wife, showing his strength and skill.

George Heard built two bridges across the Ogeechee River at Rocky Ford (or Rockyford), after he began selling lots for what would become a new town. The first, larger, bridge was built in 1886 in order to bring lumber from his sawmill (in Bellwood) to Rocky Ford. A second smaller bridge was built near Horse Creek, which he ran as a toll bridge. 

Once the town of Rocky Ford sprang up, the Foys built a company "town" in part of Rocky Ford, which consisted of some 30 houses built for his skilled laborers and staff at his sawmill and lumberyard.

George Heard and his son Rollo then started the Rocky Ford Brick Yard, one of the largest brick makers in the entire South. The brick yard was sold to W.J. Chapman in 1908, who in turn sold it to Arthur Burke in 1918.

Austrian emigrant Bartol Krulic opened his Ogeechee River Stave and Head Company, which made barrel staves, barrel headings, and finished barrels that he shipped overseas to French wine makers. 

Rocky Ford soon had two hotels: the Sam Hotel, owned by Sam Kea; and the Barber Hotel, owned by the B.B. Barber family, which was at the Central of Georgia Railroad depot. 

Also known as Rose Lane, Roselane’s postmaster was Remer Y. Lane. Rufus was located several miles from the River Road stop of the Midland Railway line. Its postmaster was Zacheus A. Rawls.

Located northwest of Statesboro, due west of Myers, and due north of Star, all that is known about the town of Sam is that their postmasters were Moses A. Newton and John Campbell.

 

Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter