By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen: Railroad stops form small communities in Bulloch
roger allen color Web
Roger Allen

Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at the founding and general history of southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.


Bulloch countians established the depot of Cuyler on what was first the Savannah and Western Railway line. It was named after Richard R. Cuyler, who was the president of the Central of Georgia Railroad, which owned the Savannah and Western Railway.

Here, many Bulloch countians would come to board trains to Savannah. In 1902, a through-passenger railway service was established that carried Bulloch residents all the way from Statesboro to Savannah, without having to transfer at Cuyler.

The community of Davis was located just north of Denmark on what was the Shearwood Railway line. 

Also known as Deal, it was located alongside the Dover and Statesboro Railroad line between the village of Clito and the town of Statesboro. When the Central of Georgia Railroad took over the line and renamed it the Ogeechee Division, Deal no longer was a scheduled stop.

Located south of Portal on the Portal-Metter Highway, the postmasters for the village of DeLoach were Alexander L. and Arnold DeLoach.

Denmark, or Denmark Station as it was called by locals, is located on Highway 67 at the Nevils-Denmark and Brooklet-Denmark Highway intersections. 

In 1912, John N. Shearouse decided to build his railroad through this area passing as it passed through Nevils heading northeast towards Egypt in Effingham County across the Ogeechee River. Landowner John C. Denmark sold him the land he needed for his railway after Shearouse promised to build a depot there.

Although Jake Nevils tried to get the depot named Lorene after his daughter, the locals didn't like that so it became known as Denmark Station.

All that is known about the town of DeWitt is that according to the book written by Richard E. Small entitled "The Post Offices of Georgia, 1764-1900," the postmaster here was L. F. Wood.

The settlement of Dink was located half-way between Adabelle and Register.

Dock, a village with a population of 64 in 1900, was located 7 miles west of Portal, which was the nearest railroad station. The postmaster was William D. Woods.


Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter