Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at the founding and general history of southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.
Leefield was settled by Lawrence W. Lee, who opened a store alongside the Midland Railway line. Lee’s first two names for his post office, Tomlee and Leeland, were rejected by the postmaster general. His next suggestion, Leefield, was accepted. With a population of 44 in 1900, this community was located near the intersection of the Savannah, Augusta and Northern Railway and the Shearwood Railway.
All that is known about Lily is its postmaster was Alonzo M. Newton. This community may have been located near Lily Branch, which is located several miles southeast of Dover.
Mentioned in several documents, little is known about the Lon settlement other than it was located due west of Adelaide and that J.D. Lanier’s sawmill operation was located here.
All that is known about Lucetta is that their postmaster was Viola C. Adams, who then served as the postmaster of Olney, which served the residents' once the Lucetta Post Office closed.
Ludovic sat 5 miles north of Arcola, which was the nearest railroad station on the Savannah and Statesboro Railway. Some documents indicate Ludovic's residents became part of the community of Rufus.
The town of Metter was incorporated by act of the Georgia legislature on August 17, 1903. The first businesses in town were the general stores of Benjamin Parrish and W.L. Jones and the supply store of L.D. Roundtree.
The town sat on what used to be the Central of Georgia’s “Dover to Dublin” or “Oconee” Branch railroad line, about 12 miles east of Stillmore.
In 1900 Metter reported a population of 400.
When there was some talk of creating a post office between the towns of Excelsior and Swainsboro, Dr. Daniel Kennedy, whose family owned the Tatum Hotel, submitted two names to the government for a post office there: Metter and Leonard.
The government chose the name Metter. Much of the area’s land was owned by James Terrell Trapnell, whom is credited by most area historians as having laid out the basic city plan in 1899.
When Candler County was created (it was first proposed on July 14, 1914), Metter was chosen to be the county seat. Metter’s tax value of $2,729,000 comprised a large part of Bulloch County’s tax value of $17,559,785.
Bulloch County officials were seriously unhappy about the loss of such a valuable part of Bulloch County. Metter had two large sawmill operations, one run by the F.H. Perkins Company and the other by the Sheridan and Perkins Company.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at email@example.com.