Note: The following is one of a series of articles looking at events in the formation of Bulloch County.
A mention of a Statesboro golf course came from the South Georgia Teachers College's student newspaper, The George-Anne. It announced in their Jan. 15, 1934 issue that "Golf Links to be Officially Opened."
It explained that "S.G.T.C.'s nine-hole golf course will be formally opened February 22." What's more, "the tees and greens are now in excellent condition, and a crew of students are getting the fairways in playing shape."
It declared "this is a sporty par-32 course." It stated "it will offer the veteran golfer (and) beginner many opportunities to test his skill. (It) has been organized in order to give the people of Statesboro a chance to play.
"Many men in this club have already begun playing and interest is now growing among the students. At the completion of this course golf is expected to be one of the leading extra-curricular activities."
And, "Many students will try out for the golf team which will be coached by Mr. Witcher. This team will have engagements with other colleges in the spring term."
All talk of playing golf at the college, and in Statesboro, seemed to fade away, until a headline announced in the Bulloch Herald issue for April 6, 1938 that "Golf Club Plans Are About Complete."
The plans were "for the building of a nine-hole golf course on approximately 80 acres of land on the Dover to Statesboro Road about 2 miles from town." Furthermore, Experts in golf architecture have approved the course design.
In addition, "The club is being organized on a non-profit basis with then end in view of benefitting the community. Ultimate plans call for a club house, tennis courts, archery range, and other sports."
An editorial appeared in the April 20, 1938 Bulloch Herald entitled "Another Asset to the Community" which stated "The group (in) Statesboro working on plans for a golf club for this community is doing a fine thing."
"Such a club is going to attract people who now go to Savannah, Waynesboro, Millen and other places where there is a golf course to spend their weekends." Statesboro should back it whole-heartedly."
Then the Bulloch Herald issue for May 18, 1938 announced that the "Statesboro Country Club Organized. To Begin Building the Golf Course Immediately on a Tract of Land Two and One-Half Miles from Statesboro."
"The by-laws of the Club have already been drawn and make provision for associate memberships. The charter membership (of the Statesboro Golf Club) is fifty.
The July 13, 1938 Bulloch Herald revealed that "Construction on Golf Course is Progressing. Course to be 3,083 yards long with longest 512 yards and shortest 164 yards."
"All the greens, tees, and fairways have been located and six of the nine fairways have been plowed, harrowed, and will be ready to grass as soon as weather conditions are favorable."
And, "The course will be nine holes with a total of 3,083 yards. It was designed and staked out by Mr. Arnold Mears, golf professional of the Savannah Golf Club."
Then, mention of the Statesboro and South Georgia Teachers College Golf Courses just disappeared. That is, until an editorial appeared in the Bulloch Herald of April 4, 1946.
It stated "Years ago we had a little golf course, out at the Teachers College, remember. Business men in Statesboro made up some money and (built) a nine-hole course, and we played golf on it some."
It continued, "It finally became a pasture, the college expanded, and covered the course with new buildings. Then, (Statesboro) contracted for a piece of property out on the Dover road, this side of the Air Base."
So, "We built two tennis courts, hired an architect to design the golf course. We had sodded the fairways and knew where the greens were to be. There was a house on the property which would become the club house."
And? "The war talk came along and the defense of our country became more important than the country club and golf course."
That, as the great Paul Harvey always said, is the rest of (that) story.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history who provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.