View Mobile Site

Sylvania woman pulled from burning home, airlifted to Augusta

    A Sylvania woman was airlifted to Augusta early Thursday after firefighters pulled her from a burning home and revived her, police reports said.
    A Statesboro Herald newspaper carrier spotted smoke coming from the home and called 911 around 4:45 a.m. Thursday, said Sylvania Fire Capt. John Rosier.
    Upon arriving at the scene a few minutes later,  Sylvania  firefighters and police found " heavy smoke and flames coming from the residence" and spoke with a tenant who said his mother was inside the home.
    Sylvania Police Cpl. Trevin Moore, Sylvania Fire Lt. Shane Burke and firefighter Duane Owens entered the home and found a woman in her 40's lying unconscious on the living room floor of a Sylvania Place home, according to reports.
    "While doing a primary search the victim was found laying unconscious face down in front of the living room window,"Burke said in a fire report. "We quickly drug the victim out the front door to get the victim out of the heat and smoke-filled room."
    After learning the victim had no pulse,  Burke began performing CPR while other firefighters battled the blaze, believed to have been caused by an unattended pot on the stove, he said. Fire reports stated "human factors contributing to ignition" included "possibly impaired by alcohol or drugs."
    "After several  minutes the victim began to cough slightly and regain consciousness," Burke stated. "The victim was turned onto her side in the recovery position so there were no obstructions in her airway."
    The woman suffered smoke inhalation and burns, which were serious enough that she was airlifted to a burn hospital in Augusta, he said.
    Firefighters checked the adjacent apartments and evacuated occupants. At one apartment no one responded, so firefighters forced entry into the residence. No one was inside, Burke said.
    The flames were confined to the kitchen, but firefighters removed smoke from a couple adjacent apartments as well as the one where the fire originated, reports stated.
    "They did an excellent job," Rosier said. "They went in and just did a good job."
    Sylvania Fire and Police Chief Gary Weaver also praised the response to the fire.
    "I feel like they did an awesome job," he said. "It's comforting to know when you arrive at the scene you have a well-trained staff taking care of the emergency at hand."
    Weaver said he is "always impressed" by the degree of professionalism his staff  displays in responding to emergency situations.

Interested in viewing premium content?

A subscription is required before viewing this article and other premium content.

Already a registered member and have a subscription?

If you have already purchased a subscription, please log in to view the full article.

Are you registered, but do not have a subscription?

If you are a registed user and would like to purchase a subscription, log in to view a list of available subscriptions.

Interested in becoming a registered member and purchasing a subscription?

Join our community today by registering for a FREE account. Once you have registered for a FREE account, click SUBSCRIBE NOW to purchase access to premium content.

Membership Benefits

  • Instant access to creating Blogs, Photo Albums, and Event listings.
  • Email alerts with the latest news.
  • Access to commenting on articles.

Please wait ...