View Mobile Site
  • Bookmark and Share

Fire destroys Portal family's home

Text Size: Small Large Medium
Posted: January 11, 2008 7:08 p.m.
Updated: January 26, 2008 5:00 a.m.
     A Portal family lost their home Thursday to a house fire possibly caused by a faulty surge protector. Portal Fire Chief Christopher Ivey said the fire originated in a child’s bedroom and the surge protector is likely the cause. However, the investigation is ongoing, he said.
    John Fields’ family lost almost everything in their Tru Fail Crossing home, he said. “The house is a total loss. They maybe can salvage some clothing and kids’ toys, some sentimental stuff, but there is a lot of damage.”
    Statesboro firefighters and Clito volunteer firefighters assisted the Portal Volunteer Fire Department in battling the blaze, which occurred around 3:30 p.m. Thursday, he said.
    The American Red Cross also responded to the scene and assisted the Fields family, which includes four children, ages 10 months, 6, 7, and 13.   Mary Ball, director of the Bulloch County Chapter of the American Red Cross, said the chapter provided the family with three nights lodging at  a local hotel as well as vouchers for clothing and food.
SUBSCRIBE to the Statesboro Herald print edition or online e-Edition and get EXCLUSIVE news and information online with complete access to all complete stories on statesboroherald.com. Now you'll have Soundoff, Local Birth Announcements and columnists like Jan Moore, Larry Sheehy, Kathy Bradley, John Bressler and Holli Bragg. Also, Letters to the Editor, Local Editorials and many new exclusive items will all be there just for you! And, when you're away from home, you can read the paper page by page anywhere, anytime from your computer with your subscription.

COMMENTS

SUBMIT A COMMENT

Commenting is not available.

Hot Topics

Most Popular

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...