View Mobile Site

Related Articles

  • There are no articles found.

Friends to Follow

Pair suspected in deaths of 6 family members near Seattle due in court

Text Size: Small Large Medium
    CARNATION, Wash. — Detectives painstakingly picked their way Thursday through the rural property where six people were killed Christmas Eve, and prosecutors prepared charges against the property owners’ daughter and her boyfriend, authorities said.
    Hours after the bodies of the victims — reportedly three generations of the same family — were discovered, police arrested Michele Anderson, 29, and Joseph McEnroe, 29, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the names.
    King County Sheriff’s Sgt. John Urquhart said the suspects went to the crime scene after investigators had arrived, were questioned and arrested Wednesday. Investigators had not found a weapon, and the only hint of a motive they have disclosed is a long-standing dispute between Michele Anderson and her parents. Urquhart declined to elaborate on the nature of the dispute.
    The owners of the property are Wayne Anderson, 60, and Judy Anderson, 61, according to public records. Multiple media reports said the couple, along with their son, Scott; his wife, Erica; and their two children, Olivia and Nathan, were the victims.
    The sheriff’s office would only say the victims were the homeowners, ages 60 and 61, their daughter and son-in-law, both 32, and the younger couple’s 6-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son.
    McEnroe and Michele Anderson were expected to make their first court appearance Thursday afternoon, and the King County prosecutor’s office planned to file charges against them Friday, Urquhart said. Authorities have not said what role either person played in the slayings, but Urquhart said both are expected to be charged with first-degree murder.
    A message left Wednesday night at a telephone listing for a Michele Anderson in the Carnation area was not immediately returned.
    The six were likely killed late afternoon or early evening on Christmas Eve, Urquhart said.
    Authorities are trying to determine why deputies didn’t further investigate a 911 hang-up call on Christmas Eve that came from the house. The call ended after about 10 seconds, and the operator reported hearing ‘‘a lot of yelling in the background ... sounded more like party noise than angry heated arguing.’’
    Operators twice called back, but both calls went into voice mail. About 30 minutes later, two deputies arrived at the property, but found a locked gate and did not go onto the property. The dispatchers log reported the deputies saying, ‘‘gate is locked, unable to gain access.’’
    ‘‘They didn’t go past it,’’ Urquhart said. ‘‘I don’t know why yet. That’s one of the things we’re looking into.’’
    Urquhart said the bodies were found by a co-worker of one of the victims who had come to the house because one of the victims, who works for the U.S. Postal Service, did not report to work.
    The bodies were found on a rural property that includes a house and a mobile home at the end of a long dirt road. The property is near this town about 25 miles east of Seattle.
    Mark Bennett, a family friend, said the Andersons lived in a house there, and their daughter Michele lived on her parents’ property in a mobile home with a male companion.
    Bennett said he spoke with Judy and Wayne Anderson on Christmas Eve and tried to call them Christmas Day but could not reach them. He told reporters he came to the property Wednesday morning after seeing the home on the news.
    ‘‘I didn’t want to believe what I heard and saw, so I drove over,’’ he said.
    Autopsies had not been performed.
    Ben Anderson, who said he was the grandson of Wayne and Judy Anderson, told reporters outside his grandparents’ property late Wednesday that money could have been a factor in the deaths.
    ‘‘She felt she wasn’t loved enough and everyone didn’t appreciate her and she was pushed out of everyone’s life,’’ he said, referring to Michele Anderson.
    Urquhart declined to say where on the property the victims were found, other than to say they were ‘‘not found in the same room.’’ As investigators searched the property, they removed a black pickup truck.
    Bennett said Wayne Anderson is a Boeing Co. engineer and Judy Anderson works for the post office in Carnation.
    ‘‘It’s shocking,’’ said Don Lovett, owner of Pete’s Grill and Pub in downtown Carnation. ‘‘It’s a real small community out here, even being so close to a metropolitan area. We’re really familiar with folks out here.’’

  • Bookmark and Share

SUBSCRIBE to the Statesboro Herald print edition or online e-Edition and get EXCLUSIVE news and information online with complete access to all complete stories on Now you'll have Soundoff, Local Birth Announcements and columnists like Jan Moore, Phil Boyum, Roger Allen, John Bressler and Holli Bragg. Also, Letters to the Editor, Local Editorials and many new exclusive items will all be there just for you! And, when you're away from home, you can read the paper page by page anywhere, anytime from your computer with your subscription.



Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...