View Mobile Site

Related Articles

  • There are no articles found.

Friends to Follow

Attorney: Man whose death sentence was overturned will take plea deal, return to Scotland

Text Size: Small Large Medium
    TOLEDO, Ohio — A man who spent 20 years on Ohio’s death row before his sentence was overturned has agreed to a plea deal that will give him his freedom, his attorney said Wednesday.
    Ken Richey, a U.S. and British citizen, will enter a plea Thursday and return to his native Scotland on Friday, said the attorney, Ken Parsigian.
    Richey was convicted of murder 20 years ago in a fire that killed a 2-year-old girl. Prosecutors said Richey set the northwest Ohio blaze to get even with his former girlfriend, who lived in the same apartment building as the toddler.
    A federal appeals court ruled in August that Richey’s former lawyer mishandled his case and ordered prosecutors to try Richey again or release him.
    The state had been set to try him again in March.
    Instead, he will plead no contest to attempted involuntary manslaughter, child endangering and breaking and entering, and be sentenced to time already served, Parsigian said. A no contest plea is not an admission of guilt but a statement that no defense will be presented. Richey will be sentenced to time already served, Parsigian said.
    As part of the deal, Richey agreed to plead no contest to the state’s charge that he told the toddler’s mother he would baby-sit the girl, but didn’t and left her in harm’s way, Parsigian said.
    Richey has said he would never admit to starting the fire and rejected any plea offer that linked him to the fire, Parsigian said.
    Richey has drawn support from members of the British Parliament and the late Pope John Paul II.
    He was nearly out of appeals until the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals court ordered a new trial. The court said expert testimony could have contended that the fire wasn’t intentionally set.
    Richey, who came within an hour of being executed 13 years ago, has maintained his innocence from the beginning.
    He came from Scotland to live with his American-born father in the early 1980s and became a British citizen while in prison.
    Richey’s attorneys contended that investigators mishandled evidence used to convict him and experts used nonscientific methods to determine that gas or turpentine started the fire.
    Parsigian also said it was hard to believe that Richey, who was drunk and had his arm in a sling on the night of the fire, could have carried gas canisters and climbed onto a balcony, as prosecutors alleged at his 1987 trial.

  • Bookmark and Share

SUBSCRIBE to the Statesboro Herald print edition or online e-Edition and get EXCLUSIVE news and information online with complete access to all complete stories on Now you'll have Soundoff, Local Birth Announcements and columnists like Jan Moore, Phil Boyum, Roger Allen, John Bressler and Holli Bragg. Also, Letters to the Editor, Local Editorials and many new exclusive items will all be there just for you! And, when you're away from home, you can read the paper page by page anywhere, anytime from your computer with your subscription.



Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...