View Mobile Site

  • Bookmark and Share

Friends to Follow

Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.

Event

Phoenix Baseline Killer suspect sentenced to 438 years in prison for 2005 rape of 2 sisters

Text Size: Small Large Medium
Posted: December 14, 2007 2:07 p.m.
Updated: December 29, 2007 5:00 a.m.
    PHOENIX — A man accused of being the Phoenix Baseline Killer was sentenced to 438 years in prison Friday for the sexual assaults of two sisters.
    Mark Goudeau still faces trial for the slayings of eight women and a man in 2005-2006, and faces a possible death sentence if he is convicted of those charges. He has pleaded not guilty.
    The 43-year-old former construction worker was sentenced for his September conviction on charges of raping one woman and sexually attacking another as they walked home from a park.
    During the two-month trial, both sisters identified Goudeau as their attacker. DNA evidence also linked him to the rape.
    Goudeau has maintained his innocence, and told Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Andrew Klein that what happened to the two young women was horrible, ‘‘but I had nothing to do with it.’’
    Klein said before handing down the sentence that Goudeau must have two ‘‘diametrically opposed’’ personalities, one calm and respectful in court and the other sociopathic and brutal.
    Prosecutors had said earlier that Goudeau faced a maximum of 285 years in prison. But Deputy County Attorney Suzanne Cohen proved a prior violent record in court Friday that made him eligible for the higher sentences.
    Goudeau is suspected of being a serial predator known as the ‘‘Baseline Killer,’’ named for the south Phoenix street where many of the early attacks took place.
    He is the first of three suspected serial killers to go on trial for a rash of random attacks that terrorized the Phoenix area for more than a year. All three were arrested last year.
    Dale Hausner and Samuel Dieteman were arrested in the so-called ‘‘Serial Shooter’’ case in August 2006 and are expected to go on trial next year. Hausner faces seven murder counts and Dieteman is charged with two. Their trial is expect to begin next year.

SUBSCRIBE to the Statesboro Herald print edition or online e-Edition and get EXCLUSIVE news and information online with complete access to all complete stories on statesboroherald.com. Now you'll have Soundoff, Local Birth Announcements and columnists like Jan Moore, Larry Sheehy, Kathy Bradley, John Bressler and Holli Bragg. Also, Letters to the Editor, Local Editorials and many new exclusive items will all be there just for you! And, when you're away from home, you can read the paper page by page anywhere, anytime from your computer with your subscription.

COMMENTS

SUBMIT A COMMENT

Commenting is not available.

Hot Topics

Most Popular

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...