View Mobile Site

1 suspect arrested in Denver in Las Vegas school bus stop shooting that injured 6 people

    LAS VEGAS — An 18-year-old man was arrested in a shooting at a school bus stop that wounded six young people, police said, and authorities were searching Thursday for a second suspect.
    Nicco Tatum, 18, was arrested Wednesday in Denver as he got off a bus from Las Vegas. Federal marshals, who had received a tip, apprehended Tatum as he transferred to a Chicago-bound bus, said Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson.
    ‘‘Now he is in jail and we’ll be looking to get him back to Las Vegas,’’ Jackson said.
    Tatum will face six counts of attempted murder with a deadly weapon and six counts of battery with a deadly weapon, said police Capt. Kirk Primas.
    Six people were wounded Tuesday at a bus stop a few miles from Mojave High School in North Las Vegas. Clark County School District Lt. Ken Young said he did not immediately know if Tatum was a student at Mojave.
    At least one teen remained hospitalized Wednesday. Alejandro Rios, 18, who was shot in the torso, was upgraded from critical to serious condition, said University Medical Center spokeswoman Cheryl Persinger. A 17-year-old male also hospitalized had been listed in serious condition late Tuesday, but an update was not available because he has chosen to keep his information private, Persinger said.
    A 21-year-old man and three other teens were treated for less severe wounds and released soon after the shooting, authorities said.
    Police have said they believed the shooting stemmed from a fight at school over a girl earlier Tuesday. The brawl was contained by school police, who arrested three male students, all about 16, officials said.
    Sheriff Doug Gillespie said the fight did not appear to be gang or race-related. But police Officer Jose Montoya said Wednesday that police gang unit investigators were handling the case.
    Authorities also were investigating reports of a fight Monday at the bus stop.
    ‘‘We did get reports that there was an incident at the same bus stop the day before,’’ Montoya said Wednesday. ‘‘But when our officers got there, there was nothing.’’
    Police and school officials said security would remain tight at campuses throughout the district until at least the end of the week.

Interested in viewing premium content?

A subscription is required before viewing this article and other premium content.

Already a registered member and have a subscription?

If you have already purchased a subscription, please log in to view the full article.

Are you registered, but do not have a subscription?

If you are a registed user and would like to purchase a subscription, log in to view a list of available subscriptions.

Interested in becoming a registered member and purchasing a subscription?

Join our community today by registering for a FREE account. Once you have registered for a FREE account, click SUBSCRIBE NOW to purchase access to premium content.

Membership Benefits

  • Instant access to creating Blogs, Photo Albums, and Event listings.
  • Email alerts with the latest news.
  • Access to commenting on articles.

Please wait ...