View Mobile Site
  • Bookmark and Share

Friends to Follow

Most Popular Articles

There are no articles at this time.

Event

Calendar

Quick Links

1 suspect arrested in Denver in Las Vegas school bus stop shooting that injured 6 people

Text Size: Small Large Medium
Posted: December 13, 2007 1:46 p.m.
Updated: December 28, 2007 5:00 a.m.
    LAS VEGAS — An 18-year-old man was arrested in a shooting at a school bus stop that wounded six young people, police said, and authorities were searching Thursday for a second suspect.
    Nicco Tatum, 18, was arrested Wednesday in Denver as he got off a bus from Las Vegas. Federal marshals, who had received a tip, apprehended Tatum as he transferred to a Chicago-bound bus, said Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson.
    ‘‘Now he is in jail and we’ll be looking to get him back to Las Vegas,’’ Jackson said.
    Tatum will face six counts of attempted murder with a deadly weapon and six counts of battery with a deadly weapon, said police Capt. Kirk Primas.
    Six people were wounded Tuesday at a bus stop a few miles from Mojave High School in North Las Vegas. Clark County School District Lt. Ken Young said he did not immediately know if Tatum was a student at Mojave.
    At least one teen remained hospitalized Wednesday. Alejandro Rios, 18, who was shot in the torso, was upgraded from critical to serious condition, said University Medical Center spokeswoman Cheryl Persinger. A 17-year-old male also hospitalized had been listed in serious condition late Tuesday, but an update was not available because he has chosen to keep his information private, Persinger said.
    A 21-year-old man and three other teens were treated for less severe wounds and released soon after the shooting, authorities said.
    Police have said they believed the shooting stemmed from a fight at school over a girl earlier Tuesday. The brawl was contained by school police, who arrested three male students, all about 16, officials said.
    Sheriff Doug Gillespie said the fight did not appear to be gang or race-related. But police Officer Jose Montoya said Wednesday that police gang unit investigators were handling the case.
    Authorities also were investigating reports of a fight Monday at the bus stop.
    ‘‘We did get reports that there was an incident at the same bus stop the day before,’’ Montoya said Wednesday. ‘‘But when our officers got there, there was nothing.’’
    Police and school officials said security would remain tight at campuses throughout the district until at least the end of the week.

SUBSCRIBE to the Statesboro Herald print edition or online e-Edition and get EXCLUSIVE news and information online with complete access to all complete stories on statesboroherald.com. Now you'll have Soundoff, Local Birth Announcements and columnists like Jan Moore, Larry Sheehy, Kathy Bradley, John Bressler and Holli Bragg. Also, Letters to the Editor, Local Editorials and many new exclusive items will all be there just for you! And, when you're away from home, you can read the paper page by page anywhere, anytime from your computer with your subscription.

COMMENTS

SUBMIT A COMMENT

Commenting is not available.

Hot Topics

Most Popular

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...