View Mobile Site

Related Articles

Friends to Follow

Devils overcome elements, Glynn to win 19-16 in OT

Text Size: Small Large Medium

            Marcus White's 4-yard touchdown run gave Statesboro a 19-16 win in overtime, as the Blue Devils, somehow, some way knocked off Glynn Academy Friday night in a wet-n-wild affair at Womack Field.

            After the SHS (2-0, 1-0) defense forced a Glynn field goal in the first overtime possession, the Devils, starting from GA's 15, picked up a first down, then handed the ball to White, who split the Red Terror defense and found the end zone.

            "I got to get this — I got to get it," said White when told in the huddle he would get the chance to score the game-winner. "We went to overtime and we said, 'We got to buckle down, we got to get this one.'"

            After the kickoff and three GA (2-1, 0-1) plays, lightning forced an hour-and-a-half delay. Play didn't resume until 9:03 p.m., and that's when Statesboro came back out of the locker rooms an put 10 straight points on the Terrors.

            Luke Connell took Statesboro's third offensive play, play-actioned and rolled to his left and found a wide open Sherrod Natson streaking down the sideline for a 66-yard score.

            Statesboro forced a three-and-out, then drove to GA's five giving freshman Caleb Brown a chance for a 22-yard field goal. It wasn't pretty, but it was true, and SHS took a 10-0 lead.

            The Terrors would respond immediately with a 50-yard field goal by Brett Bearden. After SHS stalled, Glynn would drive 12 plays and 65 yards over 6:43 to tie the game at 10. Jarre Hall took a speed sweep around left end, spun, and fumbled at the goal line, but David Bailey was there to recover the ball in the end zone.

            After a scoreless third, Glynn took its first lead on a 51-yard field goal by Bearden, sending the Glynn sideline into a frenzy.

            Statesboro's Brown would pick up the Devils once again, booting a 36-yarder of his own to tie the game at 13 with 7:04 left in the game.

            Glynn had three chances to win with under a minute to go, but after both teams jumped offsides on consecutive plays, the third and final snap was botched and the Devils made the tackle for a loss to force overtime.

            Statesboro will welcome Wayne County next Friday for a 7:30 p.m. kick.

  • Bookmark and Share

SUBSCRIBE to the Statesboro Herald print edition or online e-Edition and get EXCLUSIVE news and information online with complete access to all complete stories on Now you'll have Soundoff, Local Birth Announcements and columnists like Jan Moore, Phil Boyum, Roger Allen, John Bressler and Holli Bragg. Also, Letters to the Editor, Local Editorials and many new exclusive items will all be there just for you! And, when you're away from home, you can read the paper page by page anywhere, anytime from your computer with your subscription.



Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...