View Mobile Site

Blaze destroys longtime firefighter’s Claxton home

American Red Cross steps in to help family

Blaze destroys longtime firefighter’s Claxton home

Blaze destroys longtime firefighter’s Claxton home


An American Red Cross Disaster Action Team from Statesboro provided relief to a 20-year veteran firefighter and his family after they lost their home Sunday.
    A fire destroyed the mobile home they owned on Allen Sikes Road in Claxton. The 46-year-old homeowner and his 33-year-old wife were in church with their four children ages 9, 11, 13 and 14, when his fire department pager alerted him there was a fire and he was needed. The firefighter left the church immediately to report to his station.
    As he was on his way, a neighbor called and told him it was his own house on fire. The neighbor saw a car in the drive and thought the family was at home. He was told not to go inside as the family was together at the church.
    The home is in a rural area and by the time the first fire trucks arrived from Claxton, the home was already engulfed in flames. The homeowner is a member of the Claxton department and was among the firefighters fighting the fire. Firefighters from Hagan also responded and water had to be shuttled to the fire by four pumper trucks from almost five miles away. One pumper truck remained stationary to pump water through the hoses. No cause has been determined and no injuries were reported.
    The home is a total loss but the family does have insurance.
    The Red Cross team provided funding for food, clothing, shoes and medication replacement. The team also provided a comfort kit containing personal hygiene supplies for each member of the family. Two of the children who were having a hard time at the scene were also given a stuffed toy to help calm them. A Red Cross nurse was notified from the scene and made arrangements to have the medications replaced. The Red Cross will remain in contact with the family to assist with recovery efforts.
    The Red Cross encourages the general public to help the Red Cross assist this family and others by making a financial donation to your local Red Cross. To help people affected by house fires and other disasters such as this one, call the Red Cross office in Savannah at (912) 651-5300, or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Interested in viewing premium content?

A subscription is required before viewing this article and other premium content.

Already a registered member and have a subscription?

If you have already purchased a subscription, please log in to view the full article.

Are you registered, but do not have a subscription?

If you are a registed user and would like to purchase a subscription, log in to view a list of available subscriptions.

Interested in becoming a registered member and purchasing a subscription?

Join our community today by registering for a FREE account. Once you have registered for a FREE account, click SUBSCRIBE NOW to purchase access to premium content.

Membership Benefits

  • Instant access to creating Blogs, Photo Albums, and Event listings.
  • Email alerts with the latest news.
  • Access to commenting on articles.

Please wait ...