View Mobile Site

Related Articles

  • There are no articles found.

Friends to Follow

Lady Cougars nip GSU on the road

Text Size: Small Large Medium
Lady Cougars nip GSU on the road

    CHARLESTON, S.C. — Georgia Southern took two shots in the final four seconds but fell to the College of Charleston, 40-39. The Lady Eagles scored less than 40 points for just the second time this season and were led by Meredyth Frye's 12 points.
    "It was a frustrating night," said GSU coach Rusty Cram. "We could not get to the rim, and when we did we could not finish in the paint. We were settling for the easy shot and what Charleston gave us instead of working for our shot."
    Frye scored 10 of those points in the second half. Krista Tate added seven points and set a career high with 12 rebounds.
    The Eagles (8-11, 5-5 Southern Conference) tried to find a hot hand and used 13 different players. Jordi Cook played in her first game since a Jan. 8 contest with Davidson. Jamie Navarro finished with six points, four assists and three rebounds.
    Frye led GSU out of the break and drained six quick points to pull the team within three points, 21-19, with 16:39 to play. The Eagles battled for most of the second half, but Charleston (5-13, 2-7) kept the lead at four points, 38-34, with 1:35 remaining. Navarro cut the lead to one point with a 3 on the following possession to pull Georgia Southern within one point.
    The Eagles led for most of the first half, but Charleston took a 18-13 lead at halftime with a 10-3 run over the final seven minutes of the period. The Eagles had six different players score in the first, but none recorded more than one field goal. GSU used 12 different players in the first half. Navarro and MiMi DuBose, who left in the first half with an injury and did not return, led GSU with three points each.
    The Eagles forced a turnover on Charleston's next possession but could not get a second Navarro three to fall. Janae Smith drained a pair of free throws to extend the Cougars' lead to three points, 40-37, with 24 seconds left in the period. Frye missed a shot in the paint on the inbound pass following a timeout but was fouled. She made two free throws to cut the lead back to one point. The Eagles got two shots off in the final four second but could not get one to fall.

  • Bookmark and Share

SUBSCRIBE to the Statesboro Herald print edition or online e-Edition and get EXCLUSIVE news and information online with complete access to all complete stories on Now you'll have Soundoff, Local Birth Announcements and columnists like Jan Moore, Phil Boyum, Roger Allen, John Bressler and Holli Bragg. Also, Letters to the Editor, Local Editorials and many new exclusive items will all be there just for you! And, when you're away from home, you can read the paper page by page anywhere, anytime from your computer with your subscription.



Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...