View Mobile Site

Related Articles

Friends to Follow

Never say die - UGA prevails, 31-24

Text Size: Small Large Medium
    ATLANTA — Tony Taylor set up two fourth-quarter touchdowns with interceptions and Georgia rallied from an 18-point deficit to upset No. 14 Virginia Tech 31-24 on Saturday night in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
    Georgia finished an up-and-down season with three straight victories over ranked teams, a first for the program. The Bulldogs (9-4) salvaged an otherwise disappointing regular season with wins over No. 5 Auburn and No. 16 Georgia Tech.
    Taylor’s interceptions gave the senior linebacker seven for the season and helped Georgia rally after Virginia Tech (10-3) led 21-3 at halftime.
    Georgia freshman Matthew Stafford threw a 6-yard touchdown pass to tight end Martrez Milner in the third quarter and passed to Milner again for a 2-point conversion in the fourth quarter that tied the game at 21-21.
    Brandon Coutu’s third field goal of the game, from 28 yards, gave Georgia a 24-21 lead with 10:42 left in the game. Taylor returned his second interception, on a pass deflected by cornerback Paul Oliver, 15 yards to the Virginia Tech 1. Fullback Brannan Southerland scored on a fourth-down run from the 1 for a 31-21 lead with 7:30 left.
    Georgia safety Kelin Johnson added a third interception against Hokies quarterback Sean Glennon later in the fourth quarter.
    A 28-yard field goal by Virginia Tech’s Brandon Pace cut the Bulldogs’ lead to 31-24 with 3:41 left.
    Virginia Tech got the ball again on its 20 with 1:25 left but was stopped on downs. Glennon was 13-for-26 passing for 94 yards with three interceptions.
    Stafford was 9-for-21 passing for 129 yards with one touchdown and one interception.
    Virginia Tech appeared poised for a runaway win with a dominant first half, including 21 points in the second quarter.
    An interception by Brenden Hill set up the Hokies’ first touchdown. Branden Ore scored on a fourth-and-1 run early in the second quarter to give the Hokies a 7-3 lead.
    Eddie Royal returned a punt 54 yards to set up Ore’s second touchdown. Royal then threw a 53-yard TD pass to tight end Sam Wheeler on for a 21-3 lead.
    Georgia answered with its own big plays. Following Coutu’s second field goal, a successful onside kick set up Stafford’s 6-yard touchdown pass to Milner.
    Taylor’s first interception gave Georgia possession at the Virginia Tech 43 early in the fourth quarter. On first down, Stafford faked a handoff and passed 41 yards to Milner to the 2. Kregg Lumpkin scored from the 3, and the 2-point conversion tied the game at 21-21.
    Coutu was good on field goals from 39, 51 and 28 yards in his first game since Sept. 30. He missed the final seven games of the regular season with a hamstring injury.
    Virginia Tech defensive end Noland Burchette left the game in the first half after breaking his left arm. The Hokies lost cornerback Brandon Flowers to a sprained right ankle in the third quarter.
  • Bookmark and Share

SUBSCRIBE to the Statesboro Herald print edition or online e-Edition and get EXCLUSIVE news and information online with complete access to all complete stories on Now you'll have Soundoff, Local Birth Announcements and columnists like Jan Moore, Phil Boyum, Roger Allen, John Bressler and Holli Bragg. Also, Letters to the Editor, Local Editorials and many new exclusive items will all be there just for you! And, when you're away from home, you can read the paper page by page anywhere, anytime from your computer with your subscription.



Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...