View Mobile Site

Related Articles

  • There are no articles found.

Friends to Follow

Eagles-Jackets canceled for Tuesday, will play Wednesday

Text Size: Small Large Medium
    ATLANTA — Georgia Tech canceled Tuesday’s game at Georgia Southern so the team can attend the funeral of Michael Hutts, a pitcher who was found dead in his apartment on Friday.
    No decision has been made about rescheduling the game. The Yellow Jackets will play at Georgia Southern Wednesday at 4 p.m. as scheduled, televised live by CSS.
    A memorial service for Hutts, 21, will be held at All Saints Catholic Church in Dunwoody on Tuesday morning. The family will receive friends in the church following the interment at Arlington Memorial Park.
    Hutts grew up in Dunwoody, an Atlanta suburb, and graduated from The Wesleyan School in nearby Norcross. In college, he was listed on the dean’s list with a management major last year.
    Hutts’ family has asked that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Wesleyan School Scholarship Fund, 5405 Spalding Drive, Norcross, Ga., 30092, or to Georgia Tech’s Alexander-Tharpe Fund, 150 Bobby Dodd Way, Atlanta, Ga., 30332.
    Georgia Tech postponed a game against Miami on Friday after learning of Hutts’ death. The Yellow Jackets then lost three games to Miami Saturday and Sunday.
    ‘‘This adversity has really smacked us,’’ coach Danny Hall said. ‘‘The only thing we can control is how we handle it.’’
    To mark Hutts’ three years as a student-athlete, the Yellow Jackets had a moment of silence before the first game and painted his jersey No. 40 on the grass in front of the dugout.
    Many fans at Russ Chandler Stadium wore yellow ribbons.
    On Saturday, the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office said it will be several weeks before it releases the cause of death.
    According to coroner’s investigator Mike Alsip, there was no obvious violent cause of death. Corner’s investigator Laura Salm indicated that her department usually needs two to four weeks before releasing its report.
    Toxicology tests were sent Saturday morning to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which in turn uses a privately owned third-party lab to determine the cause of death.

  • Bookmark and Share

SUBSCRIBE to the Statesboro Herald print edition or online e-Edition and get EXCLUSIVE news and information online with complete access to all complete stories on Now you'll have Soundoff, Local Birth Announcements and columnists like Jan Moore, Phil Boyum, Roger Allen, John Bressler and Holli Bragg. Also, Letters to the Editor, Local Editorials and many new exclusive items will all be there just for you! And, when you're away from home, you can read the paper page by page anywhere, anytime from your computer with your subscription.



Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...